Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

How should l remove rust from steel i beams

Page 1 of 1
Hi l have some surface rust on the steel i beams under my house, a builder looked at it and said its not serious , just surface rust, but l would like to remove it myself, can someone please recommend to me the best paint and rust removal products to use theres lots out there. The first step is to sand off the surface rust. After that do l need to apply a rust converter like Rannex rustbuster or should l skip the rust converter and just paint over it with a rust guard primer paint, and after that what is the best top coat to use. THeres lots of different rust paint and products, White Knight, Dulux can someone please remmend what are the best to use
the better the prep, the better the longevity. I’d use a wire brush on an angle grinder with good PPE.

The rust converter is not critical but helpful if the surface prep is poor.

Surface tolerant epoxy mastics give best long term results. Jotomastic 90 is an example. better to get dulux or jotun industrial coating rather than DIY stuff. It will last a lot longer if the environment is corrosive, If you are inland, a couple of cans of fish oil is a good alternative
Pulse
the better the prep, the better the longevity. I’d use a wire brush on an angle grinder with good PPE.

The rust converter is not critical but helpful if the surface prep is poor.

Surface tolerant epoxy mastics give best long term results. Jotomastic 90 is an example. better to get dulux or jotun industrial coating rather than DIY stuff. It will last a lot longer if the environment is corrosive, If you are inland, a couple of cans of fish oil is a good alternative

would a sander be ok or is wire brush better, probably a stupid question but could l damage the steel beams with the wire brush if brush off too much or in too deep? l am 4 km from the coast. if l use Dulax can you name the exact Dulax products to use. ALso what if l just brush off the rust and then paint the beams with fish oil, would that be enough, or would l also need to paint it with some sort of rust guard paint, perhaps galvanised paint
https://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com ... al-web.pdf

https://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com ... ration.pdf

read these two technical documents, you can damage the steel with a wire brush.

The first document tells you about the expected life in various corrosive environments, these products are expensive and some require special application equipment, go to a Dulux professional supplier and get some advice. You can also hire a mobile sandblaster.
Pulse
https://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com.au/media/2111/dpcsaubr001-as2312-brochure-final-web.pdf

https://www.duluxprotectivecoatings.com ... ration.pdf

read these two technical documents, you can damage the steel with a wire brush.

The first document tells you about the expected life in various corrosive environments, these products are expensive and some require special application equipment, go to a Dulux professional supplier and get some advice. You can also hire a mobile sandblaster

if l cannot get a sandblaster would a sander with sandpaper be better then a wire brush. My plan is to sand the metal beams and then apply White knight rust converter to kill of the remaining rust and then paint it over with a Dulux rust guard primer and lastly a glavanized topcoat. Does that seem the right way to do it
Related
2/05/2024
Removing rust from steel i beams

General Discussion

thanks, yes they are dry , thats a good idea with fish oil as sanding will be hard

21/01/2024
rust on house I Beams

General Discussion

THanks , l got a licensed building inspector to look at the rust, he said its just surface rust and it would take many years to become a problem because the beams are so…

7/03/2024
Best rust killer/converter for galvanized steel post

General Discussion

That just protects from further rust, l want first to apply a rust converter or rust killer to kill the rust thats there, whats the best one for galvanized steel

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum