Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Gaps in window jabs

Page 1 of 1
Hi
Were in the Fixing stage of our home and have some minor issues with workmanship.
We have gaps in skirting boards, missing features in bathrooms , water pooling in some areas of roof and parapet flashing.
While disappointing, we were advised they they should be easy fixes.

One thing that really annoys me are gaps in Windows jabs.
See pic.

We're were advised that they'll use gap filler to remedy but I think that's very poor workmanship.

What do you people think? Should I insist they replace the jab or reseat the window ?

You can't actually request for them to be replaced because you don't like them. The builder can simply fix them, I would be suggesting you check the jambs to confirm they are level and at a right angle to the glass. The work is sloppy, and the builder has the right to correct them, your right is they meet the manufactures specification and they comply with standard and tolerance guide.
check everything really carefully, very poor workmanship, that jamb needs to be replaced.
BuildingandLegal
You can't actually request for them to be replaced because you don't like them. The builder can simply fix them, I would be suggesting you check the jambs to confirm they are level and at a right angle to the glass. The work is sloppy, and the builder has the right to correct them, your right is they meet the manufactures specification and they comply with standard and tolerance guide.

Where can one obtain a standard and tolerance guide ?

I'm thinking I should engage an independent inspector to provide a comprehensive assessment of all Windows and doors.

Simply bogging up the gap is not good enough. In my opinion they should remove the window and reseat as I was advised by the site manager these are reveals and not jambs.

Why do builders want to bullsh1t you and try to pull the wool over your eyes ?
Pulse
check everything really carefully, very poor workmanship, that jamb needs to be replaced.

If its just the jamb, that should be a straightforward replace.
I'm thinking the window might have been forced into motion and hence twisted outwards.
evange
Hi
Were in the Fixing stage of our home and have some minor issues with workmanship.
We have gaps in skirting boards, missing features in bathrooms , water pooling in some areas of roof and parapet flashing.
While disappointing, we were advised they they should be easy fixes.

One thing that really annoys me are gaps in Windows jabs.
See pic.

We're were advised that they'll use gap filler to remedy but I think that's very poor workmanship.

What do you people think? Should I insist they replace the jab or reseat the window ?

Sorry I missed this, simply put this is a pathetic job, and as it stands it is non-compliant... I think the worst part is not in the quality of the workmanship so much as the obvious lousy quality, which in itself could be an inexperienced trade, but not to acknowledge the error and promise to make good is a sin.
Related
7/05/2024
insulation/filler for gaps in window frames

Building A New House

yes that window needs a header, good pick up

1/10/2023
Pest Proofing Ventilation gaps in brick veneer home

General Discussion

Brass fly wire, you will need to cut it, shape it and jam it into brick slots

1/12/2023
Mortar holes/gaps in a 10yo townhouse - are these bad?

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place - I’m new to the property/building journey (trying to buy my first home) so not sure where/who to go with these sorts of…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum