Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Is this a bad situation - easement and manhole on property

Page 1 of 1
We recently purchased a house that we love. At the time we accepted that there is an easement for water drainage and a sweage man hole on the property but since it is right in the middle of it, I wanted to get an opinion on the situation.
There is no easement mentioned in the contract for the manholes or the sewage line.
Did we make a huge mistake and will this impact on the resale value of the home?
Thanks in advance.

You might be able to apply to divert the sewer at your expense.

In NSW you would contact a Water services co-ordinator and they would give you advice as to whether or not this is possible as you wont be able to build over a manhole.

Generally you can build over a sewer if you encase it, but this needs approval and a design.

Not sure what the situation is in other states though.

But you still have the issue of the 1.83m wide drainage easement which is a pain.

I have built on industrial sites where we have had large drainage easements through the property which had 1000mm diameter concrete pipes and we applied to relocate these and modify the easement. But you need permission from the person who has the benefit of the easement.

It will be an expensive process unfortunately and yes it does devalue your property, but conversely if you can move those easements you will add value.

I hope this helps a little

Simeon
Related
29/06/2023
Location manhole access

Rental Property

do you have a flat metal roof

17/05/2024
Relocate Sewer Manhole

Building A New House

Having been through a manhole ...let's call it "situation" recently with Sydney water, I think there is a zero percent chance of you relocating this. The reason being as…

19/08/2023
Easement and building garage to boundary

Renovation + Home Improvement

You should be able to encase the sewer but you will need it designed and approved and access to lot 580 to do the work

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum