Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

Page 1 of 1
Am looking to renovate my kitchen. There's not much wrong with the cupboards apart from looking dated so perhaps I should paint them or replace just the doors to make them look more modern? However the door sizes are all different so maybe it would be better to call a resurfacing company to 'resurface' them and maybe they could resurface my wall and floor tiles as well (rather than demolishing everything and putting new ones in) if people think that's a good idea to save costs?

Am also not sure what to do with the countertop. 90% of it is in fine condition...it's only around the sink area where it isn't as good. The tap has previously leaked so there's a large crack/gap between the countertop and wall tiles. A small section of the countertop to the right of the sink is also a little hollow due to the leaks in previous years. Is it a good idea to resurface/overlay the countertop as am not sure how easy it would be to replace it with a new one over the existing cupboards?

Am hesitant to do a full renovation as we live in a small apartment and don't want to disturb neighbours for weeks or be without a kitchen for weeks but if the cost of ordering a full new modern Kaboodle/Ikea kitchen and hiring someone to install isn't that much more than resurfacing, then would that be a better option?
Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows:
- replace your counter tops entirely,
- replace all drawer runners with soft close runners,
- for cupboard and drawer doors: remove, repair, replace door hinges with soft close hinges, repaint and re install with new handles,
- repaint tiling if you want a change.
I purchased all my most recent kitchen reno gear from Bunnings (Kaboodle). I totally demolished my old kitchen, purchased all new cabinets and counter tops and did all the work myself. This was my second kitchen reno.

None of this involves a lot of noise. If you are concerned about noise then simply chat to your neighbours and coordinate a time that suits you and them. If you are handy, or willing to learn on the job, then DIY will save you many thousands (even tens of thousands) of dollars, now and into the future. If you are careful and take your time then you are likely to do a better job than any tradie you could hire.
Remember that electrical and plumbing (water/gas) work is best left to qualified trades, especially since it appears this may be your first exposure to such things. There can be legal ramifications if you tamper with some types of electrical/plumbing gear.
Related
16/10/2023
Newbie to Home renovation: DIY?

Renovation + Home Improvement

a building inspector should be able to tell you about any major problems but we need a floor plan with dimensions to clarify options for extra bedrooms ... sometime an…

11/03/2024
Renovation - swapping kitchen and bathroom and other fix ups

Renovation + Home Improvement

I recently went through a similar renovation and move scenario when updating our family home. We also swapped some rooms around and tackled a major…

6/02/2024
DIY a new subffloor from a loungeroom

Flooring & Floor Covering

No access to subfloor unfortunatly. I drilled a small hole and missed a stump , I plan is to cut a man hole and do a proper inspection

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum