Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Foil wrap not done before brickwork

Page 1 of 1
Hi, we are having a duplex built in Sydney. The contract says the Sisal Foil wrap will be applied to all external walls. Is this meant to be applied to the framing before the brickwork is done? We have just noticed that there is none and the brick veneer has been finished. Could they still apply it now?
Unfortunately the answer will be no. Best thing to do is to email your builder pointing it out and then seeking a refund on the cost of the wrap.
Make sure it still complies with basix and the NCC before accepting any refund.
KnockItDown
Unfortunately the answer will be no. Best thing to do is to email your builder pointing it out and then seeking a refund on the cost of the wrap.

the better option would be having them knock the bricks down and actully building as per contract. if you had the option of going wrap vs no wrap and a couple extra bucks in the bank, youd take wrap any day of the week.

I would not budge on this and it will make then, stop and think twice before cutting corners again
There's no doubt an error has been made if the contract says wrap and it hasn't been done however, picking the right battles to fight during a build is also a balance.

Granted each owner is entitled to challenge whatever items or issues they like with their build.

Yes checking the BASIX is still up to spec is good callout and something that the builder will need to confirm and remedy if required to do so.
KnockItDown
picking the right battles to fight during a build is also a balance.

wall wrap is not an insignificant part of a build, not only does it add insulation to the home, it protects it from elements that make it into the cavity.
aliminter
Hi, we are having a duplex built in Sydney. The contract says the Sisal Foil wrap will be applied to all external walls. Is this meant to be applied to the framing before the brickwork is done? We have just noticed that there is none and the brick veneer has been finished. Could they still apply it now?

You can definitely do it on the inside before gyprock, so all is not lost. You can even pick a good quality class 4 vapour barrier and you should get a good result.

The key though is getting them to tape all the joins and penetrations. If you have time I would be happy to show you a build we are doing where we have done this, but you need to get your builder to agree to it.

cheers

Simeon
Foid wrap is essential component of energy efficiency and if not installed then alternative solution must be applied subject to building surveyors approval.
A good option would be foil board neatly cut and fitted. You could cut strips and fit then between brickwork and studs then whole pieces between studs.

Good option would be to revisit energy report and then approve it with foil board
Ashington Homes
aliminter

You can definitely do it on the inside before gyprock, so all is not lost. You can even pick a good quality class 4 vapour barrier and you should get a good result.

The key though is getting them to tape all the joins and penetrations. If you have time I would be happy to show you a build we are doing where we have done this, but you need to get your builder to agree to it.

cheers

Simeon

I am in the same situation, would you be able to give some insights in to this?

I am in SA
Related
19/09/2023
Gyprock before Brickwork

Building A New House

Yes windows and doors are in

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

25/02/2024
Staged payment request BUT work not done as per contract

Building A New House

1) I had requested R6 ceiling insualtion batts, however I noticed that on some areas there are huge gaps which will allow hot air to sweep in, and also noticed black/grey…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum