Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Glass Bricks and DIY

Page 1 of 1
We've got a glass brick wall in our bathroom...the other side of the wall is external. Was installed about 15 years ago...8 blocks across and 9 high.

A decent number of them have cracked - probably quarter of them. I have toyed with the possibility of just replacing the broken ones...but now I think I'll get the whole thing replaced.

Couple of questions. Is this an OK DIY job? I'm pretty handy...have built a few brick walls before...so it doesn't really faze me. But wondering if there's anything here that is too complex for a DIYer?

Secondly...the current wall has a metal frame around the blocks that I've always found pretty ugly (see below). I'd much rather the blocks just butt up against the walls on either side - which are brick. So rather than the metal frame, perhaps some grout or mortar instead. Or do these things definitely need this metal frame?

I'm off to the glass brick shop in a couple of weeks...but just thought I'd ask here first.

Cheers

Nobody?
Related
9/08/2023
Kitchen Renovation: DIY vs Resurfacing vs New Kaboodle

General Discussion

Assuming the structure of your cabinetry is good then I would DIY everything as follows: - replace your counter tops entirely, - replace all drawer runners with soft close…

4/10/2023
DIY External facade stone cladding

General Discussion

Re my second point – yes exactly. And often it may take additional time if the manufacturer recommends no more than X meters…

16/10/2023
Newbie to Home renovation: DIY?

Renovation + Home Improvement

a building inspector should be able to tell you about any major problems but we need a floor plan with dimensions to clarify options for extra bedrooms ... sometime an…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum