Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Lining Shed

Page 1 of 1
Hi,
I am sheeting the inside of a 5.7 x 8m shed with gyprock.

Unfortunately the shed wasn't designed for internal cladding but I have been framing it up as strongly as possible.

I had a question on the ceiling load and how much downward weight the C purlins can handle. These run the length of the shed and are spaced around 1500 apart and span almost 4 metres unsupported either side of the centre beam.

I am running 5.7m lengths of 70 x 35 treated pine battens perpendicular to the C purlins at 400 centres and fixing them into the C purlins from underneath with baton screws. I think the weight of the timber is about 2kg a L/M and the 10mm gyprock 5.7kg/sqm.

I may be wrong but my calculations put the total downward weight on the C purlins at about 9kg a square metre or 450 kg on the whole roof.

Does this sound reasonable or could introduce structural issues for the roof? There will be some internal walls that will provide some support under the battens.

Cheers
Haba
Related
13/08/2023
In-ground pool lining

Pools & Spas

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm doing this post correctly. Please advise if it's not. I've just bought my place. The inground pool has a marble lining that has…

14/04/2024
Pre Lining Inspection with defects

Building A New House

There are a lot of private inspectors should have stayed working as tradies!! Firstly, you paid for a professional opinion of the works, if he has picked up on an item he…

15/06/2023
Internal sheeting of shed

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks. Yeh ideally that would have been good, but have progressed too far now. Hoping some well placed internal walls fixed up into the battens will provide some…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum