Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Issues with potential purchase

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

I’m currently looking at a house i want to buy but the building inspection has picked up a number of issues with the brick piers under the house.

I took a look yesterday and there are a few that are leaning and a few that have been damaged. There are definitely some areas in the house where the floor undulates. There are no significant crackes, only some hairline cracks in the cornices in a few rooms. A few gaps between the floor and skirting.

Tried the ball trick and it didn’t roll. Put a level on most interior and exterior walls and underneath on as many timber bearers and joists as i could, most were good.

One particular area underneath a bathroom that had be renovated was worrying though, it showed signs of a significant leak with the subfloor rotting and the plumber had damaged a pier to install a waste water trap. I think the whole bathroom will need ripping out but am I wrong?. It was very damp in this area underneath the house.

Am i right to be concerned?. I’ve asked to renegotiate the purchase price. There were issues with the roof but i think that is an easy fix.

Sorry for the long post. Any advice much appreciated.

Related
19/11/2023
Help Please? Building, bathroom potential defects & no HBCF

General Discussion

All 3 items listed are defects and are of concern. Please seek qualified independent inspector and/or legal advice for your state.

25/04/2024
Potential Water buildup under slab

General Discussion

Just removed 40 liters of water in the span of 2 hours. Water fills up the hole just above the seepage point and doesn't overflow.

2/05/2024
Potential Asbestos?

Renovation + Home Improvement

That brown colour looks like Masonite or hardboard. Get it checked but typically asbestos was used in wet areas and plaster board or Masonite in other areas

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum