Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Noisy neighbours (using the formal channels)

Page 1 of 1
Has anyone had any success getting noisy neighbours to be quiet using formal complaint channels?

I have an ongoing issue with noisy neighbours in my apartment complex.

I’ve tried unsuccessfully to get them to be more considerate. They don’t care.

I’m now considering going via the formal channels (letter of complaint via the body corporate & council), however these methods usually just lead to mediation. They don’t seem to have much teeth.
they always win
just move
and save the grief
aussieta
they always win
just move
and save the grief

Thank you.

(Although I’m an owner and the neighbour is a tenant, and I want this (my apartment) to be my forever home, so fingers crossed they don’t end up being long term.
Try contacting the realestate agent they won’t want the grief

Yep complain to the agent, they will make sure the lease is not extended
Pulse
Yep complain to the agent, they will make sure the lease is not extended

real estate agent wont give a damn
easier for them to renew the lease that find and screen new tennants
they wont care that you are unhappy
however if you can track down the owner
maybe a different story
I'd go to the body corporate - are they any good in your building ?

Maybe try to get details of owner and contact him/her if BC fails.

If all else fails think outside the box - eg are they late risers who might dislike noise themselves ...

Are they below you ? If so you might have to wash your balcony when they are using theirs ...

If above - you might need to burn incense every now and then (for your health).?

Its amazing how you can accidentally do things that might annoy them ...

Thank you.

I will not be doing any kind of revenge stunts, but if they don't heed my polite requests, I will escalate it via the formal channels (Body corporate - formal letter of complaint) as my first next step, however I'm not especially confident it will help, but at least, if the owner sees the complaint, they will think twice about renewing their lease.
i once had a rental
tennants had dogs and cats defecating inside the house
tennants were smoking inside the house
estate agent didnt even tell me until vacating inspection which i attended
agents admitted they knew, but didnt want to upset the tennants
when i made a claim against their bond they brought out a list of complaints they had made to agent
which i was unaware of
some were warranty items relating to new kitchen
and this was a high end, extremely large estate agents rental division
aussieta
i once had a rental
when i made a claim against their bond they brought out a list of complaints they had made to agent
which i was unaware of

Yes, I suspect the real estate agent may be not doing a good job, and possibly not doing thoroguh rent inspections. I've heard (via my gossipy upstairs neighbour) that the owner isn't happy with the Real Estate agent but I don't know why.

The owner may be in for an unpleasant surprise once he eventually sees the place.
How old is the building? the wall between the 2x apartments is called a party wall (its fire rated to protect one side from the other in the case of a fire) it is also required to RW + CTR Rating (sound rating). Quite often you find the builder sort of conveniently forgot to install the batts to achieve the required sound insulation. You might want to check if the wall meets the required standard.
You may win by having the agent move on the current tenant only to have a midnight drummer move in!
Check the sound rating first!
BuildingandLegal
How old is the building? the wall between the 2x apartments is called a party wall (its fire rated to protect one side from the other in the case of a fire) it is also required to RW + CTR Rating (sound rating). Quite often you find the builder sort of conveniently forgot to install the batts to achieve the required sound insulation. You might want to check if the wall meets the required standard.
You may win by having the agent move on the current tenant only to have a midnight drummer move in!
Check the sound rating first!

Thanks for the reply.

The building is about 12 - 15 years old. It's a nice building but we already know that not everything was done as should have.

Do you have any suggestions as to how I would find out what the CTR Rating requirement is, and then in turn, how I would find out whether the party wall meets that standard?

(I'm prepared to cut a hole in the wall to find out. I've already invested in an endoscopic camera so I can inspect the inside of the walls and ceiling. I just need to know what I'm looking for.

I've been considering getting blow insulation put in the walls, but I still need to do more research in case there is a better option.
aussieta
i once had a rental
which i was unaware of

Not at all uncommon.
Related
18/10/2023
Noisy soffits

General Discussion

Hi, I have a double and whenever the wind picks up I can hear alot of banging in certain areas of the house. I've had a look round and can't see any obvious issue but…

3/12/2023
Sliding door to bathroom noisy

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

Thanks Chippy . Did also see a YouTube video before. Removed them . Thanks again for the advice.

3/12/2023
Neighbours rights to house access during reno

General Discussion

The only thing to add to these comments is that where possible it's always good to try and work with people than just say "no" because you can. Having someone…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum