Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Fairfield Council - Costs of a duplex and two granny flats

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

Currently planning a KDR on a 20x50m lot with the intent to subdivide and build a duplex (4 Bedrooms 2.5 Bath) with two granny flats (1 Bedroom with Study) behind.

We're aiming for a budget of around 1.2m and was hoping to get a gauge from you guys as to whether this was possible. No intent of having super luxury finishings by all means.

How much do we need to consider for the cost of things such as council approval, sub division, demolition, landscaping, etc. Not too familiar with the full process but we're hoping to engage some builders in the upcoming weeks.

Any insights would be appreciated.
staaahp
Hi all,

Currently planning a KDR on a 20x50m lot with the intent to subdivide and build a duplex (4 Bedrooms 2.5 Bath) with two granny flats (1 Bedroom with Study) behind.

We're aiming for a budget of around 1.2m and was hoping to get a gauge from you guys as to whether this was possible. No intent of having super luxury finishings by all means.

How much do we need to consider for the cost of things such as council approval, sub division, demolition, landscaping, etc. Not too familiar with the full process but we're hoping to engage some builders in the upcoming weeks.

Realistically budget seems a bit low. Sub division costs aren't cheap and tend add more to a project than first timers expect.

@AshingtonHomes may pop in and give you some detailed insights, as he's doing one right now.
staaahp
Hi all,

Hi staahp

We are currently building a number of duplexes in the North Ryde area, have previously built one in Greenacre and my partner has built a ton of granny flats in the Liverpool area.

So hopefully I can help a little.

I think your budget is tight, however there are a number of project home builders who are offering pretty cheap pricing. So it might be worth exploring them.

I am building 2 x 5 Bedroom 3 bathroom duplexes at cost for myself ( ie no margin and no labour) and believe me I am hunting for bargains. My materials are costing me roughly $1.28m. I could save some money by using cheaper residential windows but other than that I am not sure where the savings could be made.

I have seen some tender pricing from some project home builders recently that has been around $2600/sqm so maybe use that as a guide.

You will need to allow around $50,000 for design, certification and subdivision costs and around $12,000 for S73 costs.

Also check the S138 fees with your council. In Ryde they are $23,000.

Also you need around $2400 for long service levy fees.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

All the best with your journey

cheers

Simeon
Hi @ashington Homes, I live in Wentworthville (Cumberland council) in a duplex. Always thought granny flat is not possible in a duplex, looks like that can be done. Mine is a 352sqm block. Can you please share some details regarding the granny flat? Any reference to builders or If you can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks.
Pandi
Hi @ashington Homes, I live in Wentworthville (Cumberland council) in a duplex. Always thought granny flat is not possible in a duplex, looks like that can be done. Mine is a 352sqm block. Can you please share some details regarding the granny flat? Any reference to builders or If you can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks.

Pandi

This is a really good question that I do not know the answer to, but I will try and find out next week.

Back to the original poster who was in Fairfield. We are currently also building a duplex in Fairfield on a similar sized block, and our neighbour is also building a duplex, but interestingly, they have a granny flat in each of their yards.

So it must be possible. I just don't know what the guidelines are.

However, I think this is a very interesting question and I will search out the answer and repost during the week

Cheers

Simeon
Related
3/12/2023
Duplex in kuringai council

Building A New House

I'm a newbie. Wondering if anyone can give me some advice re: what to do, who to engage, costs, challenges, time required to pursue building a duplex on my property that…

26/12/2023
Granny Flat + Studio

Building A New House

I would suggest you simply go and talk to council about your proposal, most councils are getting onboard with ancillary dwellings. There is no benefit in keeping it…

31/12/2023
Backyard retreat or Granny Flat?

Renovation + Home Improvement

I think I know the answer but just checking to see if anyone has had experience with it. I want to build a small 20 square metre retreat in my backyard, it will have a…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum