Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Window for VCAT claim

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Could someone please confirm the window within which you can make a claim against your plumber and builder?

I believe you have six years (from construction) to make a claim against your plumber and ten years to make a claim against your builder.

Is that correct?
Hi Lisa06,

You may already have your answer but will post anyway as others may need this information.

Plumbers
BUILDING ACT 1993 - SECT 134A

Limitation on time when plumbing action may be brought
Despite anything to the contrary in the Limitation of Actions Act 1958 or in any other Act or law, if a compliance certificate is issued in respect of plumbing work under Part 12A, an action (including a counter-claim) for damages for loss or damage arising out of or concerning any defects in the work cannot be brought more than 10 years after the date of issue of the certificate.

With the Victorian Plumbers Warranty insurance scheme, covered for 6 years from the certificate of compliance.

Building Practitioners

BUILDING ACT 1993 - SECT 134

Limitation on time when building action may be brought
S. 134(1) amended by No. 31/2020 s. 53 (ILA s. 39(B)(1)).

(1) Despite any thing to the contrary in the Limitation of Actions Act 1958 or in any other Act or law, a building action cannot be brought more than 10 years after the date of issue of the occupancy permit in respect of the building work (whether or not the occupancy permit is subsequently cancelled or varied) or, if an occupancy permit is not issued, the date of issue under Part 4 of the certificate of final inspection of the building.
Related
20/03/2024
Experience with HBCF insurance claim process NSW

Building A New House

I apologise for any confusion, but your understanding is correct. We approached our situation differently based on advice from…

2/08/2023
DBI Claim for Defects

General Discussion

Sorry forgot to mention I am in Victoria.

27/02/2024
roof damage insurance claim

DIY, Home Maintenance & Repair

The workmanship is lifetime guarantee by "the insurer", not the builder. They will of course ask the initial builder to rectify and if they don't they will appoint…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum