Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Fitting a second bathroom - Floorplan feedback

Page 1 of 1
Hi homeone!

We're looking at ways to rectify the key issues with our house; that there is only one bathroom and that the fourth bedroom is too small to viably be a bedroom or (as we hope to use it) second living space.

The original property was built in 1946 with the house extended at the back in the 90s. The thick wall between bedroom 1 and the existing bathroom, and bedroom 4 and the laundy is the exterior wall of the original house and thus double brick and load bearing - any changes here will likely need beams or lintels. The original part of the house is classic 1940s (brick inernal walls, floorboards), and the new is classic 1990s (brick veneer external, gyprock on timber stud internal, concrete slab footing).

We've spitballed a little and come up with the below ideas (apologies for the low resolution of these)! Basic thoughts are:

Keen for any feedback on them, or for third party suggestions that have escaped us!

Sawyer
Hi homeone!

We're looking at ways to rectify the key issues with our house; that there is only one bathroom and that the fourth bedroom is too small to viably be a bedroom or (as we hope to use it) second living space.

The original property was built in 1946 with the house extended at the back in the 90s. The thick wall between bedroom 1 and the existing bathroom, and bedroom 4 and the laundy is the exterior wall of the original house and thus double brick and load bearing - any changes here will likely need beams or lintels. The original part of the house is classic 1940s (brick inernal walls, floorboards), and the new is classic 1990s (brick veneer external, gyprock on timber stud internal, concrete slab footing).

We've spitballed a little and come up with the below ideas (apologies for the low resolution of these)! Basic thoughts are:

• Option 1 is the simplest (and likely cheapest) but involves a large opening and thus engineered beam in the old rear wall wall, and doesn't provide any separation between the master suite and other bedrooms.
  • Option 2 moves the master to the front, and provides a buffer between master suite and other rooms, but doesn't recapture "wasted" space from the hallway and results in a possibly unviably small WIR.
  • Option 3 is perhaps optimal, involves minimal propping of brick walls, uses all available space, and grants a bonus powder room to service the living space to boot, but may prove too pokey in layout once realised.

Keen for any feedback on them, or for third party suggestions that have escaped us!

as usual the real estate plans are inconsistent so all room sizes need to be confirmed to make realistic suggestions but based on approximate measurements my suggestions don't need to change any windows or remove old external walls... installing wardrobe doors into the wall in bed 4 allows for a generous biw without removing the whole wall or changing the bedroom ceiling and allowing similar floor space to the other bedrooms and making better use of the hallways allows for biw for bed4 and a new family bathroom but maybe rearrange master bedroom furniture to see how the smaller bedroom feels to decide best location for the bed and if you need to keep the original biw and door location .... something like this but accurate dimensions might suggest other options:

oklouise
Sawyer
Hi homeone!

• Option 1 is the simplest (and likely cheapest) but involves a large opening and thus engineered beam in the old rear wall wall, and doesn't provide any separation between the master suite and other bedrooms.
  • Option 2 moves the master to the front, and provides a buffer between master suite and other rooms, but doesn't recapture "wasted" space from the hallway and results in a possibly unviably small WIR.
  • Option 3 is perhaps optimal, involves minimal propping of brick walls, uses all available space, and grants a bonus powder room to service the living space to boot, but may prove too pokey in layout once realised.

as usual the real estate plans are inconsistent so all room sizes need to be confirmed to make realistic suggestions but based on approximate measurements my suggestions don't need to change any windows or remove old external walls... installing wardrobe doors into the wall in bed 4 allows for a generous biw without removing the whole wall or changing the bedroom ceiling and allowing similar floor space to the other bedrooms and making better use of the hallways allows for biw for bed4 and a new family bathroom but maybe rearrange master bedroom furniture to see how the smaller bedroom feels to decide best location for the bed and if you need to keep the original biw and door location .... something like this but accurate dimensions might suggest other options:

Great thinking, many thanks! I like the way you've adapted the kink in the hall to allow for extra storage.

Can I ask what software you used to spin up that plan? Looks fantastic (and particularly when compared with my messing around in Paint!)
Sawyer
oklouise
Sawyer
Hi homeone!

Great thinking, many thanks! I like the way you've adapted the kink in the hall to allow for extra storage.

Can I ask what software you used to spin up that plan? Looks fantastic (and particularly when compared with my messing around in Paint!)

my vintage CAD program is called 3D HOME Architect version 4 and is many years old but unless you can find one second hand online with the original hard cover instructions it would be difficult to learn as on line instructions are no longer available and i found that later versions are not as user friendly but, if you would like a more accurate plan of your house, i'd be happy to redraw your original plans if you provide a list of the correct length and width of each room/spaces as shown on my rough draft..(ignoring biw, kitchen, bath and laundry cabinets fixtures and the 'kink" in the master bedroom wall
Great, thanks for the feedback! We're trying to tee a few things up remotely while temporarily working interstate, so the full dimensioning won't be immediate to get a hold of.
Related
3/06/2024
Fitting new window

General Discussion

I am currently doing a bathroom renovation and want to put in a window that is narrow than the current one in a brick opening. Can I fit the window on the bottom noggin…

16/08/2023
Floorplan

Renovation + Home Improvement

Thanks for your feedback.

28/06/2023
Second story extension on steel frame house

Renovation + Home Improvement

Hi, We have a single story MacDonald Jones house, on a waffle pod slab with steel frame. Are we able to build a second story extension? Other info is we are 900mm from…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum