Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Builder charging us for bringing a building inspector in

Page 1 of 1
Our house building is close to the fixing (second last) stage.

When our building was at the first/second stage, we mentioned hiring a building inspector to visit the site. Our builder mentioned that there would be a $550+GST fee. We mentioned that it's not stated in our contract and our builder kept quiet. We decided to wait for a later stage to bring the topic up again.

We mentioned it again to our builder yesterday and was told again that we have to pay $550+GST just to bring the inspector in. This time I told them about Consumer Affairs Victoria's advice and quoted the Domestic Building Contracts Act. According to Section 19 of the Domestic Building Contracts Act, the owner (or anyone authorised by the owner, e.g. a building inspector) should have access to the building site and to view any part of the building works, as long as it doesn't interfere with the building progress. In other words, Consumer Affairs Victoria advised us that we should not have to be charged to bring a building inspector in.

Our builder replied and said that we did not inform them about private inspections before signing the contract, so the builder did not allow the cost for extra site visits and admin cost in the contract price. Our builder insists on charging us $550+GST just to bring the building inspector in.

We still believe that it's our right to inspect the site, either by ourselves or by anyone authorised by us. Having to pay to exercise our right is ridiculous, let alone paying an exorbitant fee of $550+GST for each inspection. How do we exercise our right without jeopardising the relationship with our builder and the building progress? Is it normal/acceptable for the builder to charge the owner for bringing a building inspector in for a private building inspection?

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you!
If it's not in the contract, then the builder would not have budgeted the time for someone to be there for the inspection, read the reports etc. So, they are likely within their rights to ask for a payment.

Still, some builders will happily accept it, others not so much. It probably says *something* about them.

$550+GST seems high though, a quick google search shows other being charged ~$250. But also someone else being charged $1250 per (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=101282)

All you can probably do is try to negotiate but it doesnt sound promising with your particular builder. Best to have these details worked out prior to signing a contract.
orionnebula
If it's not in the contract, then the builder would not have budgeted the time for someone to be there for the inspection, read the reports etc. So, they are likely within their rights to ask for a payment.

Still, some builders will happily accept it, others not so much. It probably says *something* about them.

$550+GST seems high though, a quick google search shows other being charged ~$250. But also someone else being charged $1250 per (viewtopic.php?f=31&t=101282)

All you can probably do is try to negotiate but it doesnt sound promising with your particular builder. Best to have these details worked out prior to signing a contract.

Thank you very much for your helpful insight and sharing. Sounds like it's more common than we thought.

The thing is the builder never charge the owners for doing the inspection themselves. The amount of time we spend on site will be similar, whether we're with a building inspector or not. Reading the formal building inspection report may need take the builder a bit more time but we didnt think it'd be too different from rectifying defects reported by the owners.

It's a clear deterrent and very unexpected, given that we've been on top of paperwork and details before signing the contract.
I don't disagree at all and its definitely a deterrent, if a builder can get you to agree to not have an independent inspector, it saves them alot of time and money because then they can basically self-certify everything is fine, cover up all their mistakes and sub-par work with gyprock and paint, and you are none the wiser until something goes wrong.

Still, whatever the costs to you end up being, you wont find many (if any) people on here that wouldn't agree that its absolutely worth it to have any defects identified and rectified now, rather than having to deal with their consequences later.
orionnebula
I don't disagree at all and its definitely a deterrent, if a builder can get you to agree to not have an independent inspector, it saves them alot of time and money because then they can basically self-certify everything is fine, cover up all their mistakes and sub-par work with gyprock and paint, and you are none the wiser until something goes wrong.

Still, whatever the costs to you end up being, you wont find many (if any) people on here that wouldn't agree that its absolutely worth it to have any defects identified and rectified now, rather than having to deal with their consequences later.

I agree. It's just really hard to accept paying $615 just to bring the inspector in, on top of almost $500 to hire the building inspector each time. The builder is not thinking about their reputation.

I heard there is a DIY house inspection checklist. I might look for that. Thanks so much for your help and time!
Vivien Voon
I heard there is a DIY house inspection checklist. I might look for that. Thanks so much for your help and time!

DIY Engineering Checklist...That's hilarious
In court it will be " state your Name, Qualifications and Experience..."
Then you will be dismissed..
Suggest you download your state's guide to standards and tolerances, read and understand the relevant details for your current building stage, borrow or buy some basic measuring tools from bunnings. Ask your site supervisor in writing to provide reasonable access to inspect your build (this is your legal right) and, ideally, to help you with a very detailed inspection over some hours. Dont be bluffed or rushed. Wear appropriate site PPE etc. Check everything in detail and take plenty of photos and document everything, including what your SS says, of anything that does not meet the standards or looks odd.

Then, if deemed necessary, hire a qualified consultant to inspect, to verify your observations and produce a suitable report to back you up. You dont need to provide this report to your builder - they probably wont read it! Just request them formally in writing (per the appropriate contract proceedure) to acknowledge, and rectify specific defects. Plus provide satisfactory proof (ie your inspection) that they have indeed been rectified.
Kippers01
Suggest you download your state's guide to standards and tolerances, read and understand the relevant details for your current building stage, buy some basic measuring tools from bunnings. Ask your site supervisor in writing to provide access (this is your legal right) and, ideally, to help you with a detailed inspection over some hours. Dont be rushed. Wear appropriate site PPE etc. Check everything in detail and take plenty of photos and document everything, including what your SS says, of anything that does not meet the standards or looks odd.

Then, if deemed necessary, hire a qualified consultant to inspect, verify your observations and produce a suitable report to back you up. You dont need to provide this report to your builder - they probably wont read it! Just request them formally in writing (per the appropriate contract proceedure) to acknowledge, and rectify specific defects. Plus provide satisfactory proof (ie your inspection) that they have indeed been rectified.

Great ideas. Thanks very much!
In NSW its https://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/hous ... tolerances other states offer similar.
Update:

Negotiated with the builder and they agreed to facilitate 2 building inspections with a once-off fee of $550+GST.
Related
9/02/2024
My Building inspector v My builder's inspector

General Discussion

I would send it to the certifier who is technically your representative and working on your behalf not the builder's

26/10/2023
Builder Charging to Review Independent Reports

Building A New House

It is true that a builder can ignore your independent inspection report as it is not part of the contractual arrangement but that is stupid because he cannot avoid fixing…

13/07/2023
Private inspector charge by builder

Building A New House

If you already have a contract, is the inspection cost stated in there? If not they would be forced to issue you a variation which you could of course object to.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum