Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Raising roof necessary?

Page 1 of 1
Hi guys,

Your help with this would be much appreciated.

All the gutters and downpipes in my Melbourne property have been recently cleaned and the plumber said we need to engage a roof plumber to raise the sections of the roof. Please see below the sketch from plumber and photos of the gutter. The red arrows are showing that the gutters at the rear left of the carport and at the rear left of the extension run backwards (the roof is supposed to slope towards the house where the circled downpipes are). Structural engineer asked that we keep all the water away from the house foundations in order to prevent the wall cracks from getting bigger, so this may be important for us (hence why we are trying to organize building of the concrete footpath around the house).

The cost to do this job is around 3k. Is this really necessary to prevent the wall cracks from getting bigger or would building the concrete footpath around the perimeter of the house (50mm slope away from the house) be sufficient?

As you can see in the last picture, behind the gate is concrete carport.

Lastly, see two links below for videos of the carport leak that the tenant reported today (sorry for bad quality). This could be the water overflowing from the gutter (because it is running backwards) and leaking into the carport?

[ltr]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5XutrvLwyzRp3royUj7GM0sUZdX7xDR/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c9avMKUSlf3tsJgJaiE9nAhK8Jp30wcR/view?usp=drivesdk
[/ltr]
Thanks

Related
15/12/2023
Hydronic in screed -> insulation underneath necessary or no?

Heating, Cooling & Insulation

Currently renovating, and our main lounge is 5m x 10m, with a cathedral roof peaking at 6.5m high. Currently have tiles on concrete slab. Room is very hard to heat. I am…

23/02/2024
Am I too heavy for the roof cavity?

General Discussion

Firstly, if your house is still under builder's warranty (10 years in Victoria) you should have no need to crawl into roof space but let the builder handle it, unless you…

7/12/2023
Roof Plumbing Complaint

General Discussion

In my experience roof is essential element of the building envelope and hence a common property and should be covered by owners corporation however a detailed review of…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum