Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Career change into building design

Page 1 of 1
Hi all,

I'm strongly considering a career change into building design (away from industrial design), and looking for opinions of the industry from anyone that is, or works with a building designer. If you can think of any other good forums to post this too let me know that too!

So, some context:
I'm an industrial designer, mostly working in the plastics design industry with a focus on sustainability (recycled plastics, projects that minimise energy use etc). Unfortunately, after working in this space for ~6 years, I have come to the conclusion that there is a hard ceiling on wages for industrial designers, and generally a lack of respect for the industry (no surprise considering how little manufacturing we do here).

Because of this, I am considering a 1 year diploma in building design with QLD tafe, with the aim to work on sustainability / permaculture / energy efficient housing design. It looks from the outside like the construction industry is constantly booming and offers many, many more opportunities for growth than my current field.

What I'd like to know is:
-What's the reality of the kind of day to day work building designers do?
-What do they get paid?
-How much drama is there between architecture (7+ year degree) and building design
-Do companies and clients take building designers seriously without having a trade background? Or will I need to consider an apprenticeship in building/construction/carpentry (or potentially a masters/grad cert in project management)
-How competitive is it getting work with companies / clients that have a strong renewable / sustainability focus?
-Will I be able to move into a senior role within a year or two, considering I have a degree in design, and am currently working in project management?

Thanks so much for any comments!
Related
31/12/2023
Career outlook and propects

General Discussion

The alternative is to grow the carpentry business, never learn formwork, and use the funds generated to career

26/08/2023
Drilling into wall

Renovation + Home Improvement

I use Tramex moisture meter and it will tell me instantly if the wall is cement sheet or plaster or masonite but most people dont have the equipment.

26/08/2023
renovate bathroom remove step up into ensuite

Bathrooms and Laundry

the step up is 30mm and wanting it to be flat . how much does the concrete have to be lowered .we plan on removing bath and lenghten shower and adding seat. the old bath…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum