Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Building Ridge RL and Max Height of Building over 8.5m!!

Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys,

I need some urgent help with my architectural plans, see plans uploaded here (page 4 shows Ridge RL) https://easyupload.io/pzb24r

My certifier (CDC) has advised our maximum building height is over the NSW standard code of 8.5 metres. This is what he said -

"The RL of the ridge is 109.04 less the RL taken from the contour koan directly beneath the ridge is 101.5

It gives a height of 8.54m"

So I would assume I am over the maximum 8.5m allowed by only 4cm? Looks like my designer did a very poor job on my plans (there was a history of errors and issues, long story).

Can someone explain how you measure the height and please advise what my best options are to make it compliant, should I just adjust the pitch of roof?

Can someone please tell me in detail what changes I need to make on the plans and where exactly and what to accommodate for the 4cm difference?

I need to make these changes myself since my designer is no longer in the picture for obvious reasons.
dom0387
Hi Guys,

I need some urgent help with my architectural plans, see plans uploaded here (page 5 shows Ridge RL) https://file.io/Aa24IeA3z1Lw

My certifier (CDC) has advised our maximum building height is over the NSW standard code of 8.5 metres. This is what he said -

"The RL of the ridge is 109.04 less the RL taken from the contour koan directly beneath the ridge is 101.5

It gives a height of 8.54m"

So I would assume I am over the maximum 8.5m allowed by only 4cm? Looks like my designer did a very poor job on my plans (there was a history of errors and issues, long story).

Can someone explain how you measure the height and please advise what my best options are to make it compliant, should I just adjust the pitch of roof?

Can someone please tell me in detail what changes I need to make on the plans and where exactly and what to accommodate for the 4cm difference?

I need to make these changes myself since my designer is no longer in the picture for obvious reasons.

Hi Dom

We cant access your file. Says it's been deleted. Can you repost?

Thanks

Simeon
Hi Simeon,

Hope your well =)

Apologies not sure what happened the host must have deleted it, I have re-uploaded it to a new host now (page 4 shows the elevation with Ridge RL height, and last page has the section with roof pitch at 22.5 degrees.

I spoke to my builder given we are only 40mm over the max building height we figure we should reduce the pitch of the roof.

Just need some help on what bits I need to adjust and measurements to modify and I can do it.

https://easyupload.io/pzb24r
dom0387
So I would assume I am over the maximum 8.5m allowed by only 4cm? Looks like my designer did a very poor job on my plans (there was a history of errors and issues, long story)..

Join the club.
dom0387

It's simply the height at that point as determined by projecting between the nearest levels shown on the site plan. Adjusting the roof pitch, if you can, would seem logical, or change the configuration of hip vs gable ends .
Any ideas how to calculate RL height and adjust it
Just slightly adjust the roof pitch
dom0387
Any ideas how to calculate RL height and adjust it

Hey Dom

Sorry I didn't reply over the weekend. Am I understanding that you aren't still on working terms with your designer? reason being is that if she has the design in REVIT or a similar program it would be really easy to modify.

If you are stuck with hard copies you might need to have someone redrawing those sections for you.

It's a pain you are getting smashed for 4cm.

We just had a DA knocked back, in part for the garage being 20cm x 20cm too big ( there were other reasons as well like the colour etc)

Cheers

Simeon
All good mate,

Yeah we had many problems with the plans unfortunately that needed correcting, measurements, joists, materials, timber trusses, setbacks, missing tables and compliance notes, etc etc

These were errors on the plans and missing pieces that took several months since January to correct and each time I spoke to a builder or certifier, or other trade a new issue would present itself.

It has been extremely stressful and disappointing, I am not one to publicly expose someone however our designer had no idea and so many building codes and compliance errors were found and had to keep getting corrected, even simple things that took weeks/months to respond to us.

In the end we got fed up over the almost year it took to get the design plans, and the constant wasted money redoing basix and engineering plans and certs because of it, so we obtained the .dwg cad files and had someone else correct a few things.

Now we are just finalising the building height which is over by 40mm...

I have someone working on it but wanted to post here for a second opinion on how the official correct way of calculating building RL height to max 8.5m in NSW should be done just to be 100% certain we are doing it correctly.

It’s been a tough year and we are almost over the line now to get CDC to start building in the new year.

Cheers
We've lowered the roof pitch from approx. 22.5 degrees or so down to 22.0 degrees (bringing the Ridge RL down by 60mm) and overall height of building is now 8.48m (below the 8.5m max height allowed).

Hopefully this passes CDC now...
Related
18/02/2024
Electrical and plumbing plans post hand-over?

Building A New House

If there have been changes, variations, during construction then the drawings should be revised, the building permit amended and the current, as built drawings given to…

27/06/2023
Fixing a shower head height mistake

Bathrooms and Laundry

I'll look into different shower heads and ask the plumber about some engineering and see what he says. Thanks

28/07/2023
My builder made the wrong height door, what should I do next

Building A New House

i imagine you also have another contract with an architect? and yeah, whatever other's said about special conditions and appendices

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum