Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Builder shutting down franchise

Page 1 of 1
I recently built a house through GJ Gardner and there are some faults that need repairing which they've said will be done. What I'm concerned about is the long term, would we no longer have any recall if something where to go wrong during the warranty period?

And 2nd part to this. We're on tank water, the water pressure seems to be okay to the entire house except our ensuite to the point where the shower is not being used. Water is fine to basin and toilet, laundry is beside the ensuite and the pressure is fine there. We've removed the water saving devices. I brought this up at handover and they said there was nothing they could do, I'm not happy with this so wondering what steps to take when they undoubtedly give me the same response at our 3 months maintenance.

Also noticed 2 small patches of crumbling concrete on the slab, do we push for an engineers report? There was a slight over hang of the bricks, I looked at the governments regulations and it was within the limits unfortunately if you're wondering what that filler along the brick is. That was their fix.

Cazzzz
We're on tank water, the water pressure seems to be okay to the entire house except our ensuite to the point where the shower is not being used. Water is fine to basin and toilet, laundry is beside the ensuite and the pressure is fine there. We've removed the water saving devices. I brought this up at handover and they said there was nothing they could do,

There is a restriction and it most probably is a result of the installing plumber miscalculating the loading units. Do you know if it is the furthest disadvantaged end fixture?

Very messy to fix once the walls are 'sealed' but it obviously can be done.
There is an outside tap that I would presume is the end fixture but internally the ensuite is the furthest. No skin off my back if they have to pull the bathroom apart to fix it, I'd upgraded it to be my sanctuary and all it is now is a powder room.
You will be relying on the builder's social conscience to rectify. The problem is that the Standards state the flow rate must not exceed 9 lpm. This was changed from the flow rate must be a minimum 6 lpm.

There has to be a minimum 50 kPa dynamic pressure at the end fixture.

Have you changed the arm and rose to see if there is a difference?
Yes, and no change. I'm not holding my breath on their social conscience, however I do believe the shower in its current state is a slip hazard as products take quite sometime to rinse off the base while you're in the shower. The pressure is so bad when you remove the hand shower and hold it upside down squirting water upwards the flow is an extremely gentle upwards spray around 20-25cm before gravity hits. Just out of curiosity it took 16 seconds to fill a 1 litre container, other shower was 7 1/2 seconds
Wait a minute, so standards are not exceed 9lpm but there in no minimum?! That is crap, that gives us nothing but a shower that looks pretty. At least it will never leak. I'm so heartbroken that we have no rights there
The low flow entails a severe flow restriction. The only way to know whether the plumber way exceeded the maximum permitted length of the smallest branch pipe is to visual. Maybe a cam could have access down the wall cavity but it is hard to imagine a plumber having this degree of incompetence because to achieve 9 lpm would require more than x4 the current dynamic head. The cause alternative is an internal part blockage by some means and I think this possibility is more distinct.
Cazzzz
Wait a minute, so standards are not exceed 9lpm but there in no minimum?!

Yes unless there has been a recent variation in the regs. That is why I asked whether it was the end fixture.

I assume you have tested the flow by trying each tap separately or is it a mixer tap?
Mixers throughout the entire house. I even considered whether we had some sort of leak in the pipes so have been watching any signs on the ceiling. Actually there was something I have noticed on the kitchen taps, occasionally when I'm running just hot water the water will recede to nothing for a short time and then kick in again.
Check the washer.
is the flow the same with hot or cold water
Related
7/06/2023
Renting knock-down rebuild pre council/demolition

Building A New House

We've had the offer of a short term tenant whilst waiting for CDC/DA home approval and demolition for our knock down rebuild. It would achieve a pretty low rent as it's…

1/04/2024
Custom builder or pay for own floor plan and take to builder

Building A New House

Hi Mofflepop, I would recommend finding a building designer to prepare plans, they should design to your specified budget. The benefit is you can tender the project out…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum