Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Information on building a small home

Page 1 of 1
We have signed contracts with a project builder in March to build a very small home. Started consulting with them in early February Signed contracts in mid March . Plans were submitted to council in July back and forth and DA approved and stamped 29 Sept. already 7 months to get to this stage. I have been told yesterday that they foresee the build being able to start by Christmas. This will make it 8 to 9 months from signing and paying deposit Being Covid I understand things are more complicated however is it normal for the time frame to be this long to get to this stage. Very much regretting choosing this building company for so many reasons
Our experience on a custom build is that everything takes longer than you anticipate (or want). In project management there is an axiom that you can only have two of the cost-quality-time characteristics. We chose quality and cost over time, and ultimately were happy with the trade off.
arcadelt
Our experience on a custom build is that everything takes longer than you anticipate (or want). In project management there is an axiom that you can only have two of the cost-quality-time characteristics. We chose quality and cost over time, and ultimately were happy with the trade off.

Thankyou for your reply
I thought that by chosing a Masterton home even though the home we chose definiteley was not affordable in relation to other Companies and also as Masterton have been around for a very long time quality also came into our choice.
This time frame is not unusual.
Thankyou, I guess I am going by Friends building experiences in the same area over the past 2 years. To boot the block adjacent to our block that was purchased in February the same time our block was purchased, is already 6 weeks into their build. They had to have a custom design home drawn up to fit their block and it is a 2 storey larger much more detailed home. I have spoken to their builder regarding variations and then the DA back and forwards to council yet they were able to start 6 weeks ago, and we are being told that they expect our build to start by Christmas, This is very dissappointing to hear as we had being given an estimate outlining the process and time frames which was approx 24 weeks allowing 6 weeks for Council.
reisy_Rock
arcadelt

You're completely right

Thankyou
The Masterton house we chose was out of their book and is not a Custom Build its a very small single story 3 bedroom 10m x 15m home.
Jessikajade
…is not a Custom Build its a very small single story 3 bedroom 10m x 15m home.

Some time requirements, such as council approvals, can be the same irrespective of the type of build and the size of the house. The build, however, should be quicker.
I really need some advise on who I should be contacting to get information on issues that we are having with the Building company. is there an Ombudsman or would it be best to go through MBA.
If anyone has any experience with having a VENM/ENM testing report done and could shed some light on if it is normal to be told that
"All pre construction requirements have now been met and your file finalised. In order to validate your contract and move your file through to the production planning phase, we require the following from you please:
Signed validation letter and schedule, Signed Validation plans, An updated Proof of Funds dated within 30 days
Once the above has been received, your contract will be validated and file released to production to raise the orders for your new home – this is also when the 20 working days to commence construction will begin."

So Before signing and returning any of these Documents I have again questioned amounts that have been charged. Our DA was approved in September. We have charges that are associated with Acid Sulphate Soil, which is not applicable as it is not Acid Sulphate Soil effected. Now I have questioned A VENM/ENM test that was included in the second Variation in March, (Provide Waste Classification & VENM/ENM testing report due to the subject site is potentially Contaminated -$1680) this was dated before the Council
Planning Certificate was issued. Now I have questioned this charge again and have asked to see the VENM/ENM Report and the Invoice and today I was told that it has been ordered a couple of days ago (after I had asked for the report and Invoice) and they hope that it is done asap. My understanding is this report is done to forward to the Council, if the Council so requires it and if so would need to submitted before the DA would be approved.
Any info would be really appreciated. I am very disillusioned with this company and the whole process to date. Oh but Presales service was Outstanding.
Related
20/10/2023
Contact information for fencing

Landscape & Garden Design

We are at the stage on our build in Kilcoy, Queensland where we need to get our fencing installed but we cant get any contact details for our neighbours to give them…

2/07/2023
Ballpark figure to convert large WIL to small WC ?

Bathrooms and Laundry

consider putting in wall WC instead of robe in the same bedroom, then it might be doable to hook up to the existing piping.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum