Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

splashback tile lippage

Page 1 of 1
Hello!

I'm doing a kitchen renovation and yesterday the tiler put the tile on the splashback, but I realize there are lippage.

The tiler said the wall is not straight and there's nth he can do about it.

My questions is:

1) is it true that nothing can be done in the process to make it flat? My feeling is when laying the tile, you can put more thinset underneath to make it flat?

2) Can this be rectified?

This is a 400*80mm subway tile with rectified edge.

Thank you so much!
Steven

Surely its a professional tiler's responsibilty to check the wall first, advise you its not flat, then propose the best approach before starting the job?
based on standards and tolerances, pretty sure that wall is a defect.

9.02 Straightness of internal and external wall surfaces Walls are defective if they deviate from plane (bow) by more than 5 mm over a 1.8 m straight edge

That looks like way more than 5mm and looks likely to deviate further over the remaining length (I'm assuming that's not a 1.8m level).

Agree tiler shouldn't have done the job. But i do recon call the builder out on the defect wall rather than focusing on the tiler. They need to make it straight, which means pulling it off, packing and replastering and re tiling.
Thanks guy.

I don't know how to add photo in reply, so I added a new photo in the original post.

The picture is showing that they removed part of the plaster wall, and I have marked the splashback area with the orange rectangle.

I talked to the builder, he said the stud is not straight so they can't make the plaster wall straight. Is it true that they need to rebuild the stud to make it straight? I would have thought packing should resolve the issue?

It does looks like most of the lippage is around the joint between the old and new plasterboard, I am not sure why they don't redo the entire plaster wall in first place.
sts64

I talked to the builder, he said the stud is not straight so they can't make the plaster wall straight.

Lol. Does the builder know that there are litterally hundreds of videos online on how to straighten studs and stud walls to ensure straight plaster work?

Sounds lazy.
The reason I mention videos is because there is probably a handful that mirror your exact situation that could be used to counter their "can't be done" bollocks.
Thanks man, that's very helpful. I just watch one of those and I think you are absolutely right they are lazy.

At least now I know their argument does not sound at all.

I engaged this kitchen company, they use subcontractor for different trades and they dont communicate, just get the job "done" and get out of the site, no one takes any responsibility. Lesson learned.
Oh sorry I missed this was a reno and not a new build.

If this was a new build, the argument is easier to have. But it's still the same. It's lazy work and could have been rectified before the plaster went on in probably less than an hour.
The tiler should have advised that the wall is not straight prior to start and gave you the option to proceed or leave it with you to rectify the wall first. (than he has wasted time and earnings)

The real issue is the trade responsible for the bend in the wall, the plasterer should not have covered it and pointed it out to you. The kitchen installer should have done the same because of the first persons job of straighting the wall.

The tiler is not at fault but the first trade who worked prior to gyprocking they are the ultimate person at fault, because anything after this will be defective.

Blame the carpenter first, than gyprocker, than kitchen installer than finally the tiler.
Thanks!

The project manage arranged to meet on site tmr with the tiler and the builder, I will see how it goes.

To be honest, I don't know how this can be resolved, I don't think this can be rectified unless they tear the wall and rebuild again. But that means there will be significant delay and I am planning to move in end of October. Once moved in, I don't want any major construction work.
Do you want it to look right or do you want to live with it?
I think I can live with it, maybe put a wall shelf or some deco to have it covered.

With that said, for the amount they charged me, I expect the work to be decent.
The kitchen company is responsible for their contractors' work including proper measurements and supervision, unless you have contracted each trade yourself individually. Ask them to do the job you are paying them for properly. Its their screw up and any additional costs including rework and your possible delay costs are their responsibility.
Related
8/07/2023
Variation in white tile colour

Renovation + Home Improvement

Looking for advice on whether this variation in tile colour is acceptable. The large tile on the left was used in my main bathroom renovation 1 year ago. My ensuite…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum