Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Reno Concern - Only Nails to connect floor joists to beam

Page 1 of 1
Good morning everyone,

We are building a first floor addition to our house. I have some concerns about the carpentry work by our builder, but not sure if my concern is valid. Please give me some feedback.

The photo below shows a section of the new LVL floor joists between Ground floor and the new First floor. My main concerns are the use of nails to hold up the entire floor, not a single bolt or screw was used.

I have circled the example concerns.
1. Left circle - builder just used couple of nails to join the floor joists together. The floor joist isn't sitting on anything. Shouldnt they at least use nuts and bolts?

2. Right circle - the 2 beams are held together by nails. The blue timber is acting as a "waling plate" for the ceiling joists to sit on. Even the blue timber is just nailed to the beams. Shouldn't they use nuts and bolts ?

They will probably come back and put joist hangers in later, they need to
Related
14/08/2023
Concerns about strengh of Engineering Floor Joists

Owner Builder Forum

Thanks for all replies. I just noticed now the pictures I added to post right on top of page were wrong. I attached pictures showing "current" and my "suggested" floor…

14/01/2024
Framing on floor joists

Renovation + Home Improvement

Houses have been framed on floor joists since settlement, chipboard flooring is only around for 50 years or so, so why would it not be satisfactory? However exercise skill…

20/09/2023
Does this concrete perimeter raise any concern? Help please!

Paving & Concreting

i had the my concreters concrete right up to the fence. I have pits all along my path, so the water tends to drain away from the house and into the pits. There's only one…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum