Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Render over Moroka Bag and Paint

Page 1 of 1
Good evening,

Would anyone know whether it's possible to render over Moroka Bag and Paint and what would be needed? We are building a house and have decided to go for Moroka Bag and Paint over the entire house initially and then do a front facade render perhaps a few years down the line due to $$$.
TrickyRickyDoo
Good evening,

Would anyone know whether it's possible to render over Moroka Bag and Paint and what would be needed? We are building a house and have decided to go for Moroka Bag and Paint over the entire house initially and then do a front facade render perhaps a few years down the line due to $$$.

TrickyRickyDoo

Love your name!

I have no idea if you can render over the Moroka finish, but having owned a house covered in in, that stuff peels off so easily ( that was 2005-2008 ).

So unless the technology has improved since, I would think that you would be able to simply pressure wash the facade and have yourself some clean commons ready to render.

Render is pretty cheap these days, you can get an acrylic applied for $55-60/sqm I would just get your builder to leave the facade commons and do it yourself, save the headache.

Anyway, good luck

Simeon
Ashington Homes
TrickyRickyDoo
Good evening,

TrickyRickyDoo

Love your name!

I have no idea if you can render over the Moroka finish, but having owned a house covered in in, that stuff peels off so easily ( that was 2005-2008 ).

So unless the technology has improved since, I would think that you would be able to simply pressure wash the facade and have yourself some clean commons ready to render.

Render is pretty cheap these days, you can get an acrylic applied for $55-60/sqm I would just get your builder to leave the facade commons and do it yourself, save the headache.

Anyway, good luck

Simeon

Thanks Simeon, very much appreciated. I really appreciate your posts and insight on the forum.
Ashington Homes
TrickyRickyDoo
Good evening,

TrickyRickyDoo

Love your name!

Anyway, good luck

Simeon

Hi Simeon,

Random, but you mentioned you owned a house that had Moroka finish on it, and found that it peeled off so easily. Can I ask if you fixed it and how? Basically we bought a house at the start of the year, and it is a 15 year old property with a Moroka finish on it. It's starting to peel on one side only, but we're trying to work out the best way to fix the problem. If you fixed yours did you remove all the moroka or only the sections that were peeling?
Bekahgk1414
Ashington Homes
TrickyRickyDoo
Good evening,

TrickyRickyDoo

Love your name!

Anyway, good luck

Simeon

Hi Simeon,

Random, but you mentioned you owned a house that had Moroka finish on it, and found that it peeled off so easily. Can I ask if you fixed it and how? Basically we bought a house at the start of the year, and it is a 15 year old property with a Moroka finish on it. It's starting to peel on one side only, but we're trying to work out the best way to fix the problem. If you fixed yours did you remove all the moroka or only the sections that were peeling?

The great thing about Moroka is that it was easy to fix. This was 14 years ago but I am pretty sure I used a sponge and just dabbed it on over the area that peeled. It doesn't need to be perfect. I had to do this at least every month or 2, but it seemed to work

good luck

Simeon
Thank you for your response.

That's good to hear, because we just used the high pressure hose to remove the flakey moroka and thought, omg I hope we don't have to remove it all off completely. hahaha.
Bekahgk1414
Thank you for your response.

That's good to hear, because we just used the high pressure hose to remove the flakey moroka and thought, omg I hope we don't have to remove it all off completely. hahaha.

gees you went to town with the pressure washer

I think you could easily do that yourself. Now I stress this is not an area of expertise of mine ( we mainly use acrylic render), but using logic I think you could either try a sponge, or a sponge tool float and just apply it in circles. Just experiment until you get a finish you like.

From memory it goes on almost as easily as it comes off!

good luck and post a photo of the result, and if you screw it up I'll send someone over, ( Sam the renderer) to fix it.

Cheers

Simeon
Related
22/05/2024
backyard retaining wall and raised garden bed render

General Discussion

thanks chippy! here is the back of the wall which has not been backfilled yet. Here is the same back of the wall taken from the other end, behind the steps. As you…

18/02/2024
Electrical and plumbing plans post hand-over?

Building A New House

If there have been changes, variations, during construction then the drawings should be revised, the building permit amended and the current, as built drawings given to…

23/08/2023
Need advise on surfacing render interior wall

General Discussion

I am looking for someone who might have tackled a similar issue as me. I have a few rendered interior walls, the surface condition is hardly flat. I can see all the bumps…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum