Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Perth Design Help - Passive Solar and energy efficiency

Page 1 of 1

Hello H1'ers

Cast your eye over this design sketch, would appreciate any feedback, it is on a 10x50m block WNW facing - central East of Perth city.

This is to house three kids 10, 12 and 14 with provision for working from home.

Aim is for a design with no air-con although provisions are made for that in the future.

Maxing out budget on living area,
- so initial hard stand for parking - future carport/garage to be built
- rear alfresco to be added later

No elevations yet and working drawings to come.

Inspirations from various sources - algernon 's thread is amazing:
View topic - Canberra custom KDR • Home Renovation & Building Forum (homeone.com.au)

Walls
- Stick built with wall batts R2.?
- Fully wrapped with vapour barrier
- Externally clad in foam

Windows
This is where the pointy end of the budget may prick
- Almost awning windows only, to seal better
- However the other half wants 2 big 2400x4090 sliders to the alfresco and also off the master bed

Initial questions
1) How much impact would it be to raise the second floor ceiling to 2550 (or 2680)?
2) For shading the West facing front facade - I am thinking fast growing deciduous trees preferably fruit - any ideas on species?
3) Foam insulation for the different cladding systems seem to default to EPS, would you push for alternatives like XPS, PolyISO, Phenolic, EPU?
4) Would you go steel frame so as to have the second floor as a concrete slab?

Looking forward to incorporating your suggestions
Who is the builder (send me a PM) and what sort of price have they suggested for the design?

FYI
Wespine have just put a 30% increase from the 1st October on top of the 5%, 5% and 15% they have already put through this year and Colorbond have an 8.9% increase early next year.

Probably not the time to build if you can hold off for 12 months

Doozer1905
Who is the builder (send me a PM) and what sort of price have they suggested for the design?

FYI
Wespine have just put a 30% increase from the 1st October on top of the 5%, 5% and 15% they have already put through this year and Colorbond have an 8.9% increase early next year.

Probably not the time to build if you can hold off for 12 months

Contractually insulated against price rises (I think.. haha), considering steel frame so as to have the second floor as a concrete slab.
boysana
considering steel frame so as to have the second floor as a concrete slab.

Rolled steel frame supporting a concrete suspended slab above... I doubt it.
I suggest you lock in all the engineering asap. LOL, Steel framing is not cheaper than brickwork.

hth
StructuralBIMGuy
boysana
considering steel frame so as to have the second floor as a concrete slab.

Rolled steel frame supporting a concrete suspended slab above... I doubt it.
I suggest you lock in all the engineering asap. LOL, Steel framing is not cheaper than brickwork.

hth

I didn’t say Steel frame was cheaper? But will take your advice on the engineering - are you saying that steel frame cannot support a concrete slab?

Regards
Ask the salesman to provide you with the preliminary engineering, as there are many types of steel frames
As for EPS it's already on the nose in commercial residential Building. here
Lacrosse fire ruling sends shudders through building industry consultants and governments
Related
23/04/2024
How to qualify for 6-star energy rating (pre NCC 2022)

Building A New House

10 years ago was a different software than we use now. it has had a lot of changes over the past years. Improvments to the software and changes to how Nathers models need…

27/09/2023
Design Puzzle Help

Outdoor Living

G'day I'm trying to put in some privacy screening on my rental rooftop on a tight budget. I've already invested about $500 in the supplies for this. The issue is…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum