Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

new fence posts- VIC

Page 1 of 1
I employed someone to supply and fit a number of fence posts only. The fence was to be two metres high. The fence post have a lot of movement and are not in a straight line , a string line was only used to paint the location for the holes then removed. There are 16 post already in the ground, but only 5 are dug approx 600mm depth, 5 at 500mm, 4 at 400mm and 2 at approx 350mm. The had dug additional hole for the remaining posts which ranged from 300-500mm depth. I was told by them that as there are no requirement from VBA regarding the depth for a 2 mtre fence that they don't have to fix it. The business that fitted the posts used treated pine posts 900x900, there is no gravel under the posts, the cement wasn't tampered and some of the post holes only have 2-3 side cemented.

Sand and Scoria ratio was 6:2 mixed with General Purpose Cement. Payment was required upfront. Can I take them to VCAT?
Not sure on VCAT as I have been told there is no fencing standard, only rules around height.

How much did you pay for this poor job? Did you not specify what you wanted during the quote stage? I recently got a paling fence done and specified cypress posts, minimum 600 depth holes and proper concrete rather than just a bag of cement. The price paid reflected as much.

Whilst too late now, never pay upfront. You have no leverage. All fencing contractors I spoke to required 50% down and 50% on completion.
I obviously paid too much, being regional it is difficult to find tradies willing to travel. And I guess if I had a man around the house there would be no way that he would have done such a crap job or spoken to me in the manner that he had
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it given its just fence posts.

Unless you get hit by a cyclone I doubt it will move.
supersleuth
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it given its just fence posts.

Unless you get hit by a cyclone I doubt it will move.

So once the palings are attached there will be no issues with the wobbling posts? I live on 5 acres which is open space, there are high winds
i had a paling fence put in on a boundary of 45m about 4 years ago. Minimal winds affecting and it was already wobbly.

the original guy who did it did a poor job, probably about as poor as what you've described. posts about 300mm in on sandy soil with a bit of cement around it.
When we hire a service it should be competed with care and skill. Poor form by the contractor.

Information on Consumer Affairs website for more information.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/problem-with-a-service/services-not-done-with-due-care-and-skill

I would be sending a letter with pictures and facts and requesting a part refund or come and fix it. Which you already know that's not going to happen.

If the fence is not up to standard or it blows over, take him to VCAT or you could go to VCAT now. You would need a quote of how much it would be to remedy it and why it is not fit for purpose.
Harts
When we hire a service it should be competed with care and skill. Poor form by the contractor.

Information on Consumer Affairs website for more information.
https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/products-and-services/problem-with-a-service/services-not-done-with-due-care-and-skill

I would be sending a letter with pictures and facts and requesting a part refund or come and fix it. Which you already know that's not going to happen.

If the fence is not up to standard or it blows over, take him to VCAT or you could go to VCAT now. You would need a quote of how much it would be to remedy it and why it is not fit for purpose.

They did offer to fix it, for an extra fee, and the condition that I allow them to finish their work without further conflict. They have refused mediation or remedy, instead want to take it to VCAT
Related
24/03/2024
Fence posts in runny sand

Landscape & Garden Design

Hello, I am looking to install a fence but I tried to dig the holes with a post digger I realised the sand is very runny. Very, very runny. It just slides off the sides…

5/04/2024
Fence boundary - New Lot

Building Standards; Getting It Right!

Hi everyone, My lot has just been titled and during the settlement we found that the rear pegs were not visible. We requested for a re-establishment and pegging plan…

10/04/2024
New Fence - Boundary

Building A New House

Hi, It’s important to keep in mind that dividing fences have thickness, so it’s impracticable to expect them to be wholly constructed within the neighbouring…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum