Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Cracking cornices

Page 1 of 1
Hello, I am looking for some advice on cracking cornices. We are looking at a home which is double brick on sand foundation and it has cracking along the cornice/ceiling on one side of the house/ I understand some cracking is to be expected - but would this amount be considered normal? pic below.

really sorry this pic is upside down and don't know how to fix

Ajoawk
Hello, I am looking for some advice on cracking cornices. We are looking at a home which is double brick on sand foundation and it has cracking along the cornice/ceiling on one side of the house/ I understand some cracking is to be expected - but would this amount be considered normal? pic below.

really sorry this pic is upside down and don't know how to fix

Ajoawk

Cornice cracking is pretty normal provided the walls don't have significant cracks, especially in a double brick property.

We are starting a full renovation in a couple of weeks in a full brick place that is less than 20 years old and nearly every cornice has either cracked or is falling off, guess the glue wasn't great and there has also been some movement. Have had 2 engineers inspect and everything is fine.

Working on another double brick 2 storey house built in the 60's, cornices are fine but we have really bad cracks coming from the windows at 45 degrees which has been caused by the lintels rusting and failing. Also have a number of rooms with bad cracks caused by the old brick piers failing and yet the cornices are in perfect condition. So go figure!

In summary, my advice would be if its just the cornices no problem, just get them replaced or patched and painted. If you have a significant amount of cracks in the walls get an engineer in to inspect and advise. Often the solutions are relatively straight forward.

I hope this helps

Have a great Friday

Simeon
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum