Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Sewer line running through the left side - Risk to buy?

Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I am planning to buy an unregistered lot and there is a proposed sewer line running left to the lot 104

Is it a big concern?

Is it worth buying the lot?

Attached is the diagram indicating the sewer line.

Thanks,
Sandeep
lot is only 14.4 wide
take off say another 2m for easement
can you build your proposed house
aussieta
lot is only 14.4 wide
take off say another 2m for easement
can you build your proposed house

Thanks Aussieta.

The proposed building plan which was given to me is 10.6m wide.

So that's the reason I am asking. Is it worth considering to buy?

Since they say Sewer line, what kind of sewer line it could be?
the lot plans should show the easement width, usually plus 1 metre you cannot build on easily
search angle of repose
but 10.6 with zero boundary on far side will fit easily
aussieta
the lot plans should show the easement width, usually plus 1 metre you cannot build on easily
search angle of repose
but 10.6 with zero boundary on far side will fit easily

Thanks for your reply.

I contacted the agent and they are telling that there is no easement for the sewer. The sewer will be concrete encased and offset 1m from the side boundary.

I assume that its sewer with 150 mm plastic pipe and will be concrete encased 1500 mm of left side of block.

I am still worried whether it would cause any restrictions.
there must be an easement
or you could dig it out
aussieta
or you could dig it out

Uploaded the developer plan for your reference. Can you see and let me know if still be the case with easement.
deepuhassan
aussieta
or you could dig it out

Uploaded the developer plan for your reference. Can you see and let me know if still be the case with easement.

aussieta
or you could dig it out

Be very wary.
Have been in this situation before.
Put a deposit down on a block that showed, according to the developer, no easements and then get called into the selling agent's office and told "guess what".
If there is an active sewer running down the side of the block then there will be an easement and you may not be able to build over it.
­­­­­­Hi

A couple of things to think about:

Whether there is a recognised easement or not, there will still be restrictions/guidelines on what can be built near the sewer and how they are built. The guidelines are specified by Sydney Water. Assuming it’s not wider than 300 or 400mm this link to may be of use:

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/web/groups/publicwebcontent/documents/document/zgrf/mdc2/~edisp/dd_076198.pdf'

The general rule of thumb is no new significant loads within 45 degrees of the underside of a pipe so the restrictions may depend on pipe depth, i.e. a pipe at 2.0m depth has restrictions within 2.0m horizontally. The usual practice is piers to below 45 degrees to transfer loads deeper. Sounds like house footings won’t be a concern but maybe allow for piers to a couple of metres for other structures (retaining walls, garage maybe?) in your sums.

I might be blind, but I can’t see the ‘pipes concrete-encased shown accordingly’ symbol anywhere on the plan you posted apart from where highlighted in the legend. Is there a Page 2 or a cross-section showing encasement-example shown below:

I could be wrong but double-check it is proposed to concrete to be encased-it’s a costly business to encase and needs to have a reason generally (e.g. road crossing).

Something else to consider is that an access point may be required where the new pipe joins the old for maintenance and the like. Check if one is proposed and if there are restrictions with that.

Might sound stupid but I would check the sewer construction completion is a condition. No good if completion is proposed after you have moved in...

Best of luck
Related
30/10/2023
Running irrigation line under footpath (next to home)

Landscape & Garden Design

Hi all I am looking to run a water line under my concrete footpath which is directly next to my home, was seeing if this is possible without cutting the entire section…

17/06/2023
Modular above ground pool over Private Sewer line

General Discussion

Hi everyone, Looking for some advise. We are about to build an above ground pool in our backyard. There is a private sewer line running under the pool at 1.6m…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum