Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Are bedroom sizes important?

Page 5 of 6
mandystoj
I went to a few Display Homes today and was pretty shocked to find that medium-large
homes have such small bedrooms! I guess like someone said earlier in this thread, some
of the space goes into the Main Bedroom which is overly big!

Anyways I was wanting to compare my bedrooms and this thread was very informative.
Mine are:

Main: 4.3 x 4 plus wir/ensuite
Bed 1: 3.3 x 3.3 plus built in
Bed 2: 3.8 x 3.3 plus built in
Bed 3/Study: 3 x 3.3 (no built in, using as study, prob wayyyy to small for 4th bedroom)

Keeping in mind it is a Duplex I am happy with the sizes
but would not see the point in
having a 40plus house with some of these sized rooms as above which I saw today

Reviving a very old thread here, but sadly it appears all of the bigger name builders now seem to focus on bigger living spaces and smaller bedrooms.

We had to "settle" for a 39sq home with 3 x 3.4 minor bedrooms (x2) and 1 x 3.1 x 3.4 bedrooms, the larger one looks acceptable whilst the smaller ones was pretty much the smallest we would accept. Our Main is 4.2 x 4.5 which I feel is perfect for our needs.

The two shortlisted weren't much better, which was the M's 40sq design which had a 3.33 x 3.24, 3.29 x 3.26 and a 3.92 x 3.74. The smaller rooms seem acceptable but the larger one just seems weird but significantly larger, we tried to resize this but it wasn't allowed.

New homes seem to have huge a** mains - our opinion is that anything larger than 5 x 5 is too just excess space for the main.
This is something we'll have to adjust to as well. Master is over 4x4 but our minor beds are 3x3.6m and one at 3x3.2m. In our last house (a semi) the smallest bedroom was still 3.2x3.8m and the other two 3.8x4.2m. The trade off though is that we now get more and larger living spaces. Personally I think this will work out though as I really don't want my boys doing homework, music etc in their rooms - I just want them used to sleep, store their clothes and get dressed. Do others agree? Could this be the reason these rooms are getting smaller?
robbie55
This is something we'll have to adjust to as well. Master is over 4x4 but our minor beds are 3x3.6m and one at 3x3.2m. In our last house (a semi) the smallest bedroom was still 3.2x3.8m and the other two 3.8x4.2m. The trade off though is that we now get more and larger living spaces. Personally I think this will work out though as I really don't want my boys doing homework, music etc in their rooms - I just want them used to sleep, store their clothes and get dressed. Do others agree? Could this be the reason these rooms are getting smaller?

You may want them to do that, but I think once they hit teenage years, you'd be better off with bigger rooms. They provide the privacy and personal space...

Not sure of this trend of smaller bedrooms, it looks weird, 40sq home with 9-10m2 minor bedrooms and a huge master bedroom...I think 4.5x4.5m master rooms excluding ensuite, WIRs/Robes is the sweet spot. Your 3 x 3.6m bedroom is not too bad. There is a growing trend towards massive living areas e.g. upstairs rumpus and monster master bedrooms - waste of space imho.

For comparisons sake - the house I grew up in was barely 15 squares, but the rooms are bigger than the current 40sq I live in.
When the talk is that most people will move home every 7 to 10 or so years, the idea of large bedrooms seems almost redundant.

In these connected days, you really only want your children to sleep and change clothes in their bedroom, and not have them as places to hide or hang out on their computers for the rockspiders on the internet to come along.

Large bedrooms for kids to hide away in, or to be hidden away in, isolates the kids, and further engenders the idea of not being social.

Large master bedrooms aren't that much different, after all what do you do in the bedroom other than sleep/use the bed, get dressed ? Does it need to be that huge in the first place ? Yes, 2 people generally use the master bedroom, but you do have the ensuite and walk in robe which give extra room anyway.

The current trend of meda/HT rooms and rumpus/child retreats, allow for a more social climate for all the family to congregate in, so why such large bedrooms for the kids ?
bpratt
When the talk is that most people will move home every 7 to 10 or so years, the idea of large bedrooms seems almost redundant.

In these connected days, you really only want your children to sleep and change clothes in their bedroom, and not have them as places to hide or hang out on their computers for the rockspiders on the internet to come along.

Large bedrooms for kids to hide away in, or to be hidden away in, isolates the kids, and further engenders the idea of not being social.

Large master bedrooms aren't that much different, after all what do you do in the bedroom other than sleep/use the bed, get dressed ? Does it need to be that huge in the first place ? Yes, 2 people generally use the master bedroom, but you do have the ensuite and walk in robe which give extra room anyway.

The current trend of meda/HT rooms and rumpus/child retreats, allow for a more social climate for all the family to congregate in, so why such large bedrooms for the kids ?

Two schools of thought on that one but as kids grow older, they need some sort of space in their rooms? One camp is just one bed and robe. Other camp is queen size bed, robe, desk, tall boy etc etc.

You do however, make an interesting point. These days, we've got tablets, phablets, smartphones, laptops, thin LED screens that doubles as a TV, do you really need that much room?

I grew up with a large 3 x 4m, whilst that didn't feel cramped by any measure, I certainly did have the tendancy to lock myself up in my room and at one stage, eat & sleep for days on end watching TV in my room in pure isolation. Heck, I when I was old enough to earn $, I even said to myself I'd build a bigger room for myself so I could virtually

In the place we grew up in, we had 1 lounge room - this was to be shared with my parents and older sister. We all had different preferences when it came to TV content.

To be really fair, I think even living in a 4x4m master room with my wife now, we estimate the majority of the time we're on our laptops watching videos or web browsing. Wouldn't make a massive diff if we were in a 3x4 or something smaller.
I kinda like having a little bigger rooms to give flexibility to do other things in your bedroom. I would like the kids to study in their rooms as if they are in a common area they will annoy each other and fight. My office (additional bedroom if needed) is where I want to keep all of my work material and the like.

I share your concerns about creeps on the interweb but I also want my kids to think there is a place they can go to hang out with their friends etc. I like to close the door and relax sometimes as well.

I think for me it just comes down to personal preference and to be honest I cannot recall ever going to a house and thinking, gee these rooms are too big....
AussieMark
I cannot recall ever going to a house and thinking, gee these rooms are too big....

I've been to homes and thought, "Wow, these bedrooms are big".

Saw one master bedroom with ensuite and walk in robe, and the room itself was about 6 x 6m in size.... massive.
yes but did you put that as a negative for the house or were you indifferent or thought it was a plus...
AussieMark
yes but did you put that as a negative for the house or were you indifferent or thought it was a plus...

A big negative, as it was stupidly too big for us. The only thing worse about the place was the stink of cat p!ss through the house.
Well I dont have cats.... and the master is not that big but still bigger than normal. I guess it comes down to what you are used to I guess. Where I am at the moment the master is 6m by 4.5m and its good. Admittedly its more space than needed but I like it.

I know we agree on theatre size...hehe
I like a large master because I hate having to squash in to make the bed. I also like to have a make up table and a dresser without it looking cramped. I think ours is 4.5 x 4 which will be fine. The second bedroom is quite long at 4.5 metres. I also hate opening the robe and having to turn sideways because there is a bed in the way. I also like to put queen size in my spare bedrooms.
This was the biggest issue when I was looking for a home to buy! Every bedroom was small. This is why we decided to build and made all our bedrooms at least 5m long x 4m wide. Had to make sure a table with a computer was able to fit inside each bedroom along with a ceiling projector.
mandystoj
kyton
mandystoj
Btw does anyone have an idea if a King Size bed will look 'decent' in a 4.3x4 bedroom?

Our main bedroom is 4.5m by 4.5m. We have a king size bed, two oversized bedside tables plus an almost 2m long dresser. The room is huge with plenty of room to walk around all the furniture. Plus at present we have a cradle at the foot of our bed and there is still plenty of room.

Wow, great thanks for that.

Mandy, ours is the exact same size as yours, and hubby was surprised about how "small" it looks during frame stage! He's afraid our King won't fit.. Thanks Kyton for reassuring it'll be ok!

When I was moving walls on our design, I drew the King bed to size, and it fit perfectly, but in person we just can't put two and two together for now lol so it's a nervous wait. We have our own walk in robes (His/Hers), and intend for the bedroom to fit only the bed, bedside tables and perhaps a small dresser and maybe tv on wall (which I am opposed to but will have that argument when we get there!).

I reduced the our bedroom floor space to increase the WIR and laundry which for us is a good trade off.
I thought the same thing and I went in with a sheet and made it up to the dimensions of a king size. I had nothing to worry about.
joannek
I like a large master because I hate having to squash in to make the bed. I also like to have a make up table and a dresser without it looking cramped. I think ours is 4.5 x 4 which will be fine. The second bedroom is quite long at 4.5 metres. I also hate opening the robe and having to turn sideways because there is a bed in the way. I also like to put queen size in my spare bedrooms.

Oh Joanne you also have the same dimensions! Thank you
we do have a kicker in our bedroom floor plan so it's a bit smaller than 4.5x4 but just a bit.. I just like the thought of being cozy too. I've seen big bedrooms and I find it weird - what do you put in the middle of that dead space between bed and door? Tub chairs just for decoration? that's what was drawn on the plans and it didn't feel right to me but yes, each to their own

This is our room with a king size. It's fine for us.
joannek

This is our room with a king size. It's fine for us.

WOW! still looks very spacious!!
Thanks lot of good ideas

Our two boys bedrooms are 3.4 x 4.5
And both have queen beds with heaps of leftover space and large cupboards, interestly while building boys had rooms 3.1 x 3 , and it made no difference to their habits accept smaller rooms were much harder to do beds in.
Is that including bir

Related
27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

4/05/2024
Mixed drawer sizes next to each other

Building A New House

put the 2 draw set directly under the cooktop and the 3 draw set either side for balance

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum