Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Tiled Roof vs Colourbond - pros/cons (and noise question)

Page 5 of 5
offshore
My contribution on the longevity issue.

We just retiled our place as part of a complete reno of a fixer upper.

The previous terracotta tiles were still functional, but approaching end of life (estimated at 5-10 years left by a family friend who is a retired roofer with 50 years experience).

They were installed in 1934!

Wow ! Yes - we'd heard the stories - tiles getting water logged, breaking all the time, chipping in the cold (we get below zero in winter) etc - but never seen the evidence in our houses.

We were told they get to a point where you can change them - but they won't really get any worse.

80 years sound good to me though !
Oh boy - I really wanted tiles because I think they look great but never thought about security, hail storms etc we have the either or option so cost is around the same but now I will look around for CB that might look nice... Oh dear!
Marto54
kylie40

From an aesthetic point of view, tiles suit an older style house, if that's your thing.. Otherwise, colorbond is a logical modern choice, not just because of the lightweight look, but the green advantage and practicality.

As Dee pointed out, these roofs have been around a LONG time. There's lots of old "brick and iron roof" houses, some built in the 1890s, around Perth. Iron gave way to steel eventually, but it's a similar look and feel as CLB, just not coloured. However some houses would not be true to their traditions if they had clb. Think of a Spanish hacienda without barrel tiles...or a Japanese traditional house without shingles... or an English manor without slate tiles....Imo it would just look wrong!
Treeseachanger
Marto54
kylie40

From an aesthetic point of view, tiles suit an older style house, if that's your thing.. Otherwise, colorbond is a logical modern choice, not just because of the lightweight look, but the green advantage and practicality.

As Dee pointed out, these roofs have been around a LONG time. There's lots of old "brick and iron roof" houses, some built in the 1890s, around Perth. Iron gave way to steel eventually, but it's a similar look and feel as CLB, just not coloured. However some houses would not be true to their traditions if they had clb. Think of a Spanish hacienda without barrel tiles...or a Japanese traditional house without shingles... or an English manor without slate tiles....Imo it would just look wrong!

Good point TSC. Its a personal thing IMO. No logic involved. I'm also doubtful about the "green" side too. Not sure what "practicality" means. Certainly not access to the roof later on
"Modern" - no again !

As I said though - it might be a fad that later dates the house - who knows what tomorrow brings ?
There is another consideration against colorbond which I have unfortunately encountered.The colour on my colorbond started delaminating after 8 years.The entire house roof (305sqm) was replaced by Bluescope and the contractors doing the job told me they had over 700 roofs to replace.The bad part is Bluescope will not warrant any unlined tin(due to there perforation warranty even though this has nothing to do with the paint falling oiff) so all my patio/verandahs plus my bullnose verandah they will not replace.The bullnose still looks OK(faces morning sun) however the rear verandah is now about 1/3 delaminated.
Once I was aware of what the colorbond is doing I have seen it everywhere.It is mainly the Ocean Blue but I have also seen the lighter Blue and Green and Red.My house was built in 2000 and now from out the back looks very average.The Bluescope Rep told me the formula had been changed twice since 2000 so maybe there is another batch of failures arriving anytime.
Have a look in google earth at Reynolds Road,Canning Highway Perth there is a Blue Tin Roof there just starting to show the telltale stripes.I drove past last week and it now looks ten times worse.I have also heard (Though unconfirmed ) that Bluescope are no longer replacing the delaminated roof's.

Just to cheer me up my colorbond fence which is only 12 years old has completely rusted out at concrete level and fell over in the recent wind.Needless to say it's tiles all the way for me.
Dash1965
There is another consideration against colorbond which I have unfortunately encountered.The colour on my colorbond started delaminating after 8 years.The entire house roof (305sqm) was replaced by Bluescope and the contractors doing the job told me they had over 700 roofs to replace.The bad part is Bluescope will not warrant any unlined tin(due to there perforation warranty even though this has nothing to do with the paint falling oiff) so all my patio/verandahs plus my bullnose verandah they will not replace.The bullnose still looks OK(faces morning sun) however the rear verandah is now about 1/3 delaminated.
Once I was aware of what the colorbond is doing I have seen it everywhere.It is mainly the Ocean Blue but I have also seen the lighter Blue and Green and Red.My house was built in 2000 and now from out the back looks very average.The Bluescope Rep told me the formula had been changed twice since 2000 so maybe there is another batch of failures arriving anytime.
Have a look in google earth at Reynolds Road,Canning Highway Perth there is a Blue Tin Roof there just starting to show the telltale stripes.I drove past last week and it now looks ten times worse.I have also heard (Though unconfirmed ) that Bluescope are no longer replacing the delaminated roof's.

Just to cheer me up my colorbond fence which is only 12 years old has completely rusted out at concrete level and fell over in the recent wind.Needless to say it's tiles all the way for me.

Isn't some colorbond colour not recommended in coastal areas?
I seem to have some sort of memory about this fact...could be wrong though!

I'd be miffed if I went through that.
I was told that with colorbond that if the coating on the paint gets chipped it is prone to rusting..
Deemaree
Dash1965

Isn't some colorbond colour not recommended in coastal areas?
I seem to have some sort of memory about this fact...could be wrong though!

I'd be miffed if I went through that.

I am about 25km from the coast.What really annoys me is the current colorbond ads on tv showing them testing them in the harshest enviroments and near the sea and saying how long it lasts.Looks like false advertising to me.Also after my roof was replaced I have a water leak and the evap aircon rattles on high but Bluescope don't want to know.
I've lived under a concrete tiled roof for 35 years and also a very old school tin roof in our holiday house. Now that we're thinking of building, I just thought that I wanted colourbond straight away.
I know that the tiled roof had nothing but issues, constant replacing of tiles, sealing and that horrid dark mouldy type stuff on it, that probably isn't mould... It looks terrible. We have a big stack of tiles sitting out the back, for when the next one goes and needs to be replaced. Of course, the stack will probably need to be replaced shortly too.
The old school tin roof was on a house that used to be a barn, so there was no insulation, no sarking, nothing between us and the tin... The sound was beautiful (matter of opinion) but most of all, there was no leaks, no rusting, didn't see anything wrong with it at all, not even any dents. That roofing has been on that particular roof for about 30 years, and is in a rain forest type area, which gets heavy down pours, as well as quick heavy hail and then scorching sunlight all in the same day...

I would choose colourbond every time personally.
It has caused some contention between my hubby and I, as he's heard about the mobile interference as well... I didn't have a problem with the barn, but we were only JUST in mobile reception area, so I put it down to that if it did drop out. If there's no issue, then it's Colourbond for me!!!
Colourbond for me - dont mind the rain. Plus theres a huge number of houses getting broken into via the roof these days - Perth WA Crime Reports FB page will show you that - every day another one. Seems to be happening a lot in Seville Grove....
AdamIrons
I was told that with colorbond that if the coating on the paint gets chipped it is prone to rusting..

In our previous house we had our brand new roof (4 months occupancy) damaged in a storm that first winter. A roofer about 400 metres away didn't tie down a piece of CLB during construction and as the storm went through it lifted it and it bounced off our roof (yes, the winds were gale force!) We were home at the time and thought there had been an explosion. The sheet actually landed in the street two houses behind!

All we had to do was spraypaint the scrape. Voila, no rust! Just one problem though, the bit that had been scraped stayed lighter than the rest, once spotted we noticed every time we had a "CLb moment".
Homebody99
Colourbond for me - dont mind the rain. Plus theres a huge number of houses getting broken into via the roof these days - Perth WA Crime Reports FB page will show you that - every day another one. Seems to be happening a lot in Seville Grove....

Yep. That's why we're moving out of Seville Grove and up to Bedfordale. Not long now I hope.
How did you go about getting your roof replaced? Who did you contact? We will shortly be having solar panes installed and when the original measurements were taken earlier this year we realised that the roof colour just comes off if you touch the roof! Any advice from you would be most welcome.

Dash1965

[quote="finery50"]How did you go about getting your roof replaced? Who did you contact? We will shortly be having solar panes installed and when the original measurements were taken earlier this year we realised that the roof colour just comes off if you touch the roof! Any advice from you would be most welcome.

We contacted the Bluescope sales Rep who is in SA for WA .We then had to sign a waiver and they replaced the main part of the roof.They will not replace any Bullnosing or patio sheeting.
Once you are aware of the problem you will see colorbond roofs failing everywhere.I took a photo of another roof in Kalgoorlie a couple of weeks ago that has lost a lot of the colouring.
Related
20/06/2023
Gutter cleaning tools for concrete tiled roof.

General Discussion

No, I even have sections of narrowness where the tiles won't slide up any further. When I manage some spare time, I might play around with the first DIY part of my…

24/02/2024
Surfmist tiled roof - unsure about gutter colour

General Discussion

Thank you so much. We ended going with the terrain that’s part of our brick.

7/05/2024
Rendered brick wall to colourbond roof over flashing

General Discussion

Coming back to this.... When installing a pressure flashing, what fixings would you use (please give a link) ? Above Pedro said nylon anchors. Anyone have a preferred…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum