Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Has anyone rectified slab heave successfully

Page 37 of 50
building-expert
Sorry I was focussing on distance not the grade. Engineer like everyone else has to comply or provide alternative solution. So it seems specified grade was insufficient.
When you consider Ys= 70mm i.e. potential of ground to heave 70mm it is clear that even complying with standards is insufficient and could lead to negative soil/paving grade toward dwelling. I have seen this many times on my pre purchase inspections with houses that have been in service 1-12 years

BE, I was thinking of what you have observed regarding the inspections and observations of negative paving towards the dwelling. If the path was tied into the slab with steel dowels, then if there was upwards movement of the paving with soil heave, the steel would anchor the paving edge to the slab edge whilst the outside of the path/apron would rise causing that negative fall towards dwelling. If on the other hand that the apron was against ableflex between it and the house with a flexible sealant then the whole apron should rise as one hopefully keeping its fall AWAY from the dwelling.
goody59
building-expert
Sorry I was focussing on distance not the grade. Engineer like everyone else has to comply or provide alternative solution. So it seems specified grade was insufficient.
When you consider Ys= 70mm i.e. potential of ground to heave 70mm it is clear that even complying with standards is insufficient and could lead to negative soil/paving grade toward dwelling. I have seen this many times on my pre purchase inspections with houses that have been in service 1-12 years

BE, I was thinking of what you have observed regarding the inspections and observations of negative paving towards the dwelling. If the path was tied into the slab with steel dowels, then if there was upwards movement of the paving with soil heave, the steel would anchor the paving edge to the slab edge whilst the outside of the path/apron would rise causing that negative fall towards dwelling. If on the other hand that the apron was against ableflex between it and the house with a flexible sealant then the whole apron should rise as one hopefully keeping its fall AWAY from the dwelling.

That's assuming uniform heave but it's not. Ground under paving closer to house is still protected by slab whilst outer edge of paving at junction with exposed ground is not and will heave at edge before anywhere else.
Thanks BE. This ENTIRE thread needs to be read by all who are about to build on reactive clay sites. Take note of precautions required to look after your investment. Ignore the warnings at your own peril is my opinion.
It is time to get this thread back to the top again. Anybody building on highly reactive sites should read through this entire thread.
http://www.hedra.org.au/images/files/HE ... _2015..pdf
This looks fascinating insider. Will you be attending?
Yes I will be there
Hi Guys,

Inadequate Soil Reports: Melbourne’s Big Secret?

https://sourceable.net/melbournes-best-kept-secret/#
insider
http://www.hedra.org.au/images/files/HEDRA_MELBOURNE_Nov__2015..pdf

There should be a cost for Home Owners to attend and share information.
Handy007
insider

I would hope Insider may give us some information gained from the conference.
goody59
Handy007
insider

I would hope Insider may give us some information gained from the conference.

Yes no problem
That would be inside information

Don't you mean "insider" information
Lol yeah

Just out off interest would anyone go if it wasn't so pricey and topics aimed at existing owners and people building or thinking of building.
Say priced at about $150
Yes, if it wasn't so pricey and there were some sessions aimed at a more general public I would go. Another possibility - are any of the presentations published?
Without doubt their should be a government ad campaign simply informing all to the basic needs for wafle slabs to get maximum chance of not heaving , a simple 30 second ad would save new homes and builders and most importantly , home owners lots of heart ache.
I would attend for sure.
insider

Why don't they ever seem to extend the invitations to these kinds of information seminars to consumers?
With every other profession invited to hear every angle on slab heave ...... without the poor consumers who fall victim to this issue. .. they wouldn't have employment. So apart from the obvious of keeping the consumer in the dark. It seems they further want to keep those whom are paid to have all the information that consumers directly need to rely on to fix their defective properties. Seems like vested interests are well looked after.

insider
Just out off interest would anyone go if it wasn't so pricey and topics aimed at existing owners and people building or thinking of building.
Say priced at about $150

I would ..... but I'd like to have the exact same information that is shared. Make it an even playing field for consumers as well as those benefiting from consumers misfortune

Related
21/11/2023
Has anyone built a home with Masterpiece Builders?

Building A New House

Hi All, we are starting to think of building with Masterpiece Builders in Victoria, has anyone had any feedback or experience with them

15/04/2024
AllCastle Homes has anyone built in 2023

Building A New House

Hi we are looking to talk to people who have built with them recently. We have signed mid range built contract but identified that a lot of things are not included.…

20/06/2023
Builder has not done something - can I ask for a variation f

Building A New House

I work with owner, he/she is my man on the ground and I instruct them when to visit the site and take photos and I have other tools in the bag.

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum