Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

How big is your place?

Page 4 of 4
We currently live in 54m2 which we call a studio apartment and have done for 4 years nearly our whole married life. We are building currently a single story house on an acre with the house being 380m2 with a shed to still to come. We are not sure now walking around our house as it is being built what exactly we are going to do with the all that space.

So I think unless someone is living in a caravan 54m2 would have to be the smallest.
Mine is 26 squares. 3 bedrooms, a theatre room and a rumpus room. It is easily the smallest house in our surrounding area!! But atleast we get a lot of back yard for the kids (when the decide to arrive...)
We have been told by a few builders to subdivide and build townhouses on our block and make some "easy" money
- I said - no way!! cause then we would still have to find a house and reenter the market and how are we going to find land again in the inner burbs where we are???!!

Anyway, we are planning to build around 30 squares + double garage, we will have decent side and backyard areas for outdoor living....we have one baby at the moment and are planning for a couple more so that should be big enough for our family......
We have 589 sqm. Our house will take up about 229sqm, I think. Not sure if that includes garage or what.
Total of house is 30 squares, but that includes garage and alfresco. So really about 25 squares!!

Other half cleans - I do most cooking and outside, she does the inside stuff!!
I think the question should be "How big is your backyard?"

Seen plenty of 4x2's with a study, which I assume is for a family of 5, with a backyard as big as a bath. No wonder we are all getting fatter.
Quote:
We have been told by a few builders to subdivide and build townhouses on our block and make some "easy" money - I said - no way!! cause then we would still have to find a house and reenter the market and how are we going to find land again in the inner burbs where we are???!!

Yep I'd do the same.

Steve
Quote:
I think the question should be "How big is your backyard?"
Seen plenty of 4x2's with a study, which I assume is for a family of 5, with a backyard as big as a bath. No wonder we are all getting fatter.

Yep - same goes for HT's and other distractions which make it easy for people to not get out and do things.

We are only years behind other "developed" nations - so be proactive and do something about it !
Steve
Yak_Chat

Yep - same goes for HT's and other distractions which make it easy for people to not get out and do things.

like internet forums maybe?
Yep 100%.
This is R&R for me and a way of expressing my passion and helping others through my life experiences.
Steve
My block is just over 900m sq. so I still have room to put a 2nd garage, pool and tennis court in my backyard (to go with the kids' trampoline, swing set, and the cubby house I built for them).

You should remember, 95% of the time home theatres are used is after the sun has gone down. When people without them are watching the Sunday Night movie on the TV, I'm watching the DVD version (better picture and sound, no ads) in my theatre.
can i post in this thread? It's just that I couldn't find a thread for how small is your house!!
Fu Manchu
can i post in this thread? It's just that I couldn't find a thread for how small is your house!!

Glass half full, glass half empty

And you didn't answer the question....
We are building on 5 acres so no restrictions on size (except for cost!!)

Living area 254m2
Garage UMR 54m2
Pergola 60m2

Plus seperate shed for hubby (approx 70m2).

Will be having a swimming pool & kids have worked out where they want the footy goals, cricket pitch, basketball backboard & bike track - won't have to worry about any garden if they get their way

Ride on mower will be a must & yes am worried about the cleaning (our current home we are renting would be a third of the size).

Jo
Old house - 100m2 or 10.76 sq, new 160m2 or 17.22 sq. Missus's worried that the new one will be too large for the 2 of us.
Ours will be 28sq or 258 plus extension to the outdoor room which we've doubled in size. Our block is 900sq and is set up high with views of the valley and murray river (river tree line anyway
)
Quote:
Ours will be 28sq or 258 plus extension to the outdoor room which we've doubled in size. Our block is 900sq and is set up high which views of the valley and murray river (river tree line anyway )

Nice - enjoy the views.
Steve
Related
19/08/2023
Getting decking ready to sell the place

Landscape & Garden Design

Use a product like Equisol's Vitalise to clean the deck then coat with a penetrating timber oil. It will look 10 years younger and add value to your home. Visit for…

19/11/2023
Expertise on keeping large pavers in place driveway

Renovation + Home Improvement

Appreciate that Chippy. I won’t do sand under pavers and will connect all up under pavers, however I was going to do: 1) Roadbase compacted with manual hand tamper 2)…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum