Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

What are you sick of seeing?

Page 3 of 28
Fu Manchu
"Mc Gardens" of Cordylines, rhoeos, yuccas, couch lawns and black mulch

I was about to post this but Fu beat me to it!

I also hate gardens that are all stones with one or two plants in them. Reminds me of a graveyard
Thats hilarious.
Helyn
mek
But wouldn't have: beige, cream, wooden furniture, shiny tiles, shiny accessories (as in vases, pots, etc), cornices, vertical blinds, don't like any granite, "C" kitchen handles, feature walls, artificial plants, fridge spaces, ducted heating - I'll stop here

I wouldn't think of being rude to anyone that has these things in their house though.

hehehe, well, my house has beige, cream,wooden furniture, cornices, vertical blinds, fridge space, C kitchen handles and ducted heating - in fact nearly everything on mek's list

Again, not trying to be rude but I think it is fair to say, from other posts, that mek and I have VERY different tastes - mek, you like everything modern and straight lines and minimilist colour? - whereas I love traditional cottage styles - my house has a bullnose verandah with cream aluminium lace, for heavens sake

Just as well we dont have to live together, isnt it

Although we do have one thing in common - at least we both dislike artificial plants

[quote="to_do_list"]

That's a lovely post Helyn.
lisanne
Ummm I think the OP was after idea's for internal decoration

Haha thats ok, I'm enjoying this
I have a beige house, I also have some red and purple in it. I have canvases and a few artificial plants (but the good realistic type
)

Doesn't bother me if some don't like some or all of these things. We are all different people with different tastes, the world would be a very boring place otherwise

But I would never, ever, ever live in a house with caravan windows on the front
What are caravan windows?
Sheepdog
What are caravan windows?

Houses that have 2 or more horizontal windows on top of one another, like on a caravan
Eeep! Thats another box ticked for mine! Buahaha!

Ohh I'm gonna win!
oooh some great points in this thread !

I hate:
- beige ... and beige with green. Not that it looks bad.. just that when we went display home hunting.. the same colour scheme was in EVERY home!
- crappy timber paling fences ... made from crappy pine that looks horrible to start with.. and gets even worse over time!
- Colorbond fences that are the cream colour with the red border - yuck !
- display homes that have gone overboard with wallpaper. Im all for a feature wall... but giving me an epileptic fit when I walk into a bedroom is not cool !

- dumb covenant restrictions that take 6 months to interpret and then adhere to
- shiny floor tiles
- un-tinted windows.. like living in a fishbowl!
- vertical blinds
- Security screens on every window.. the old school diamond pattern ones.. they just kind of say "IVE GOT GOOD STUFF INSIDE THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO STEAL!"

agreed with cars being permanently parked outside from people who just never get around to unpacking the crap in their garage. and people who park big trucks outside their houses - your neighbours dont want to look at them ! Find it another home! (loving that our covenant says you cant do that lol)

Im guilty of yukkas (they look funky) and rheos (or however you spell them) and couch turf (with 275m2 ... it was all we could afford) but im trying to get some natives in the back yard - fingers crossed the puppy doesnt destroy them !
mek
But wouldn't have: ... vertical blinds...

ohhhh yep another good one
vertical blinds always remind me of a waiting room (... from the 80's).

lisanne
Ummm I think the OP was after idea's for internal decoration

Yeah, (partially) my bad.
I do like a good rant though.

I'll try to steer it back on topic...

- wood-finish laminates on cupboards (you'll be wondering what on earth you were thinking in a few years time)
- things stuck in vases indoors that are not real plants (fake leaves, fake sticks, rocks *shudder*)
Sheepdog
Eeep! Thats another box ticked for mine! Buahaha!

Ohh I'm gonna win!

I actually like those windows
so untick that box
lisanne

- things stuck in vases indoors that are not real plants (fake leaves, fake sticks, rocks *shudder*)

Ive just been at my SIL's and all through her house are glass vases with glass pebbles and fake flowers. My MIL's house is full of large vases with sticks
They both a have alot of decorative bowls in EVERY room. I dont mind one or two but seriously, enough is enough
I was very anti-stick-in-vase myself but you know my DH
the part time interior decorator
he insisted on some sticks that look like they have feathers on them
I shoved 'em in the bathroom
I do have some silver sticks in a really nice big silver vase that doesn't really need sticks
but DH insisted again, they don't look too bad cause they are silver and very skinny, more like twigs. I am definitely over the glass pebbles had those several years ago but only so the "real" flowers could sit higher, they get slimy
SuH
I do have some silver sticks in a really nice big silver vase that doesn't really need sticks
but DH insisted again, they don't look too bad cause they are silver and very skinny, more like twigs. I am definitely over the glass pebbles had those several years ago but only so the "real" flowers could sit higher, they get slimy

seriously SuH ... who wears the pants ?
Enough with the sticks already.
I think i would like to add that i am sick of seeing beautiful houses wrecked by using too many colours on the facade.

Seriously, there is a huuugggeee designer built house near here and their render colour is baby blue, windows are off white. French doors are white. Front door is black. Gutters are grey, roof is black. Eaves are some purpely colour.
Fences are another shade of cream. Its all so busy!
Maybe no colour consultant?

Would it be bad to say stackstone? I love it in limited doses but loads of people are jumping on that bandwagon.
JilaMint
SuH

seriously SuH ... who wears the pants ?
Enough with the sticks already.

You have no idea what I went through in that first couple of months
I think I'll take out one stick at a time, he won't notice that will he
Salt&PepperMkII
Paranoia and age discrimination annoys me.

Well after all this feedback I wonder whats left to buy for my house??!!
EKT

What you like...
to_do_list
EKT

What you like...

What Dilbert said.

So far I've checked so many boxes that my house probably looks like the bridge of Frankenstein on paper but it works for me. Hmmm Frankenstien... bolts... maybe that'll be a new feature
dark laminex fake wood grain cupboards *DUCKS*

I'm sorry, but I grew up with that sort of kitchen and just cant go back!
Related
6/06/2023
Do you think this kitchen is original

Kitchen Corner

No. It's not original. Circa early to mid 90s would be my guess and maybe even as late as early 2000s

8/06/2023
Hello to all of you. Any advice please?

Building A New House

A question. Im in Queensland and building a new home. We managed to reach practical completion 6 weeks ago but we haven't heard any date for handover yet. Who should we…

9/07/2023
Would you do this reno?

Renovation + Home Improvement

Bought in Nov 21 at the height of the market (classic). Good area, atrocious floor plan. BUT has land out to the left-hand side that we can extend out on (see second…

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum