Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

URBAN MYTHS .... ?

Page 18 of 20
We could have a whole thread on "other" drivers ...
Mauromario
I apologies for posting twice my mistake.

You can delete one when that happens...check out the three dots in bottom RH corner.
I feel sorry for these poor sods who are used to phone up.

"Ring ring, ring ring - answered ... various noises and clicks - then (in a VERY Asian voice) as it they are in a huge cave - "Ullo Misser XXXX - i'm from Telsa". Your internet is not working properly". I can hear all these voices in the back ground.

Me - "Whats my account number" ? Click ... until the next one.
well, i got scammed
i bought some items that were NOS hard to find from store in canada, Phpuzg
the name should have tipped me off, but i have been looking for these discontinued items for a long time
they provided a tracking number, which was delivered today
and i had delivered, a counterfeit cartier ring instead of the $110 items i ordered
We all get tricked at times.@aussieta

But don't feel bad. Look at Optus, Medibank, etc etc - and a few smaller banks.

With all their expertise and money they still get tricked and hacked.
The Medibank hack is just getting worse.

They now admit the hacker(s) has had access to EVERYTHING.

Be VERY careful of any texts or emails etc - seeking private info. Do NOT click on links that are not clearly right.
Amazing the warning we keep getting now - banks, airlines, telco's, etc etc. All saying the same thing - be careful. Don't just click on things - don't believe anything you're told - don't accept someone is who they say they are ...

BUT - we still do it ?

Why ?

Time to be more careful. When you need to link to a site - you do it - type it in if necessary - don't click on a link someone sent you in an email. If you didn't ask for an attachment - DO NOT open it - regardless of who sent it - they may have been hacked.

Think first - then act. BUT - do not provide private information to anyone because you got an email or a phone call. CHECK first.
I agree totally its amazing how many people do it, also the other thing i seee a lot on the news that a tradied has taken off with someone life saving, now why would anyone pay so much in advance even if the tradie asked for it there is a reason why they cannot pay for supply of items to start anyway.
If you feel that someone stands over you and demands up front payment call the cops you are threaded to pay someone ujp front its iiligal anyway.

I hope everyone starts demanding proof of who they are registration certificate ABN number look them up on ASICS website look and see if they have ABN or contact the VBA make sure they are registered.

Its your money dont give it away because they promise or offer you a freebie to get your money.
I had a funny one - a person rang and said they were from a place I had emailed about something a few days before. Telstra.

We'd had a few scam calls from "Telstra/NBN" so when this person rang and said Telstra, and asked for personal details from me - ie asked me to ID myself - I asked them to do the same thing - ie tell me my Account Number etc.

They refused.

So I asked them to email me the information. It turned out they were Telstra ...

BUT - this is the point - there should be some way for them to ID themselves too. Not just us having to ID to them. Maybe something on our records that only Telstra etc would know ? Like the ID Number on our Credit Card we have to use - the 4 digit one.

Its gotten to this point now though. What was a wonderful thing is now such a mess.
Absolutely right. I refuse to even answer any number I don't know or a email that says something that I have no idea.
Now according to telstra call centres last I spoke with them all local call centres as of July 2022 will be based in Australia, last 3 times I spoke to telstra call centre they were in Brisbane they even asked me if I knew anyone who needed work as the call centres were coming back to Australia. It was so freshing to hear real English not accent. They even worked out that my modem was out of date they sent me a new with in 4 business days it was great to actually get something done.
It's an urban myth this forum is useful beyond about 5% of people. The rest of it is just poo slinging (though I still read it!).
I see that couple who lost close to $100k recently almost blame the bank because they got scammed.

The Banks constantly tell us they WON'T ring and ask for personal info over the phone. YET many think they just might.

If someone rings and tells you to ring them back - don't use the number they give you. Get the Banks number and ring that.

Its a hard lesson but we just have to learn to be a little less trusting.
receiving multiple emails regarding my mcaffee anti virus subscription from random gmail email accounts
with a call back number +61721398618
Saint Mike
I see that couple who lost close to $100k recently almost blame the bank because they got scammed.

The Banks constantly tell us they WON'T ring and ask for personal info over the phone. YET many think they just might.

If someone rings and tells you to ring them back - don't use the number they give you. Get the Banks number and ring that.

i dont know the details of the story you mention, but the banks have several protocols in place when releasing large sums, even to the account holder. Often they ignore those protocols.

Yes people are gullible and need to bear some responsibility, but too many times have banks just handed over money without following their own procedures.
Noname
Saint Mike

i dont know the details of the story you mention, but the banks have several protocols in place when releasing large sums, even to the account holder. Often they ignore those protocols.

Yes people are gullible and need to bear some responsibility, but too many times have banks just handed over money without following their own procedures.

Then seem to deny liability ...
Saint Mike
Noname
Saint Mike

Then seem to deny liability ...

yep. every time.
MERRY CHRISTMAS - HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL !

BELIEVE NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING - ASSUME NOTHING !
To all my fellow multi taskers out there...
Can we really have hot cross buns in January - or can they only be "real" at Easter time ?

I quite like them actually and don't get my knickers in a knot because they are here so early.

Maybe the answer is not to call them HCBs - just fruit buns ?
What do we think of cold callers - not the phone but knocking on your door ?

We still get them - from solar panels to real estate to the NBN ? Also charities.

I often feel sorry for them - they look like they really need the job - but rarely if ever buy this way.

They may well be genuine - eg solar panel rebates - and may be working for a genuine company.
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum