Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

URBAN MYTHS .... ?

Page 14 of 20
I think I may have heard the greatest/best myth of all time today. Was discussing something with an "expert" and they said - that the person who had done the work was a "professional" so it had to be right. I - on the other hand - was not !

I am merely a pleb who uses logic when trying to work something out. When you use this with an "expert" they tend to brush you aside as a novice who isn't really qualified to talk on the subject. Even when the logic suggests the opposite.

This can be seen with Foxtel "experts" who are really just people who attach a box to your TV - to internet "experts" who think they are telecommunication professionals. I had one Foxtel "expert" replace my box 4 times before they'd look at the connection to see if it "could" be something else (after all - were all the boxes faulty ?). Yes - it was the connection.

I had another "expert" telling me my driveway had to have a tunnel dug under it and a new conduit installed to supply a cable to the house. I pointed out we already had a plastic conduit under the drive that could be used. After a stand-off where the "expert" told me how he knew better than me and how it wouldn't work - he stormed off. His boss came the next day and started the same story. I pointed to the already installed conduit and merely showed him how - by logic - it could be done. As if by magic - he agreed.

So - the moral of the story - don't assume these so called "experts" are really experts. They merely know how to lay a line or attach some wires. Logic leaves them floundering. They are not professionals in the field - they just know a basic part of the job.
Yep...but does it fit the definition of an urban myth?

I could add so many extraordinary examples of 'professional' failures that I have experienced over the years that I most probably would not be believed. Examples would be worthy of a thread on its own.
SaveH2O
Yep...but does it fit the definition of an urban myth?

I could add so many extraordinary examples of 'professional' failures that I have experienced over the years that I most probably would not be believed. Examples would be worthy of a thread on its own.

A-ha - perhaps this is the myth ...

Had a good example this morning. Sewerage playing up - we have this "you beaut" system vacuum/pressure system in the main pipes. All the signs were there - toilet gurgling etc so I rang Unity Water. I got the usual story - you have to get a plumber to call and advise, then they will do something. I asked if they could read the history of the street - they'd see its happened 4 times in the last 3-4 years. System obviously blocks and it fills up - you open the man hole and ....

They asked if it was a problem for the neighbours. I had checked but all were out. It turns out it was but the lady next door had done nothing. Her's plays up before mine. I have no idea what she was planning - but I guess she knew I'd eventually do something.

After some discussion the Unity Water lady agreed it could be the same problem - so logged it in. Next minute I hear sounds outside my place - I told them on the phone the manhole was next door. I went out and found two "technicians" trying to access my u/ground water tanks. Notwithstanding the fact they are on my land - not council/nature strip - I asked if they had a plan showing where the real manholes were. They said (truly) that they were merely "following orders".

I must admit the speed the young lady got them out here was amazing though - inside an hour.

I pointed out the manhole they needed BUT they decided to check out 2 others first. I explained how there would be 3 or 4 houses on each loop to no avail. How the manholes they wanted to look in were not the manholes they wanted ...
Still they looked. Finally they went to the one I was indicating. Opened the top and - yep - you guessed it ! (I left at that point - the smell is enough ...).

But again - they had someone who knew what had happened before and where to go. Who knew exactly what the problem was. BUT - they would not accept it. I was not a "technician" ...

Still, I guess its lucky it all happened this week and not over Christmas.
Here's a great 'urban myth'... "Australian homes are built for Australian conditions".
The old Queenslanders are as are the ones at Coober Pedy.
I'm also dispelling the myth that Santa doesn't like a cold beer left out for him on Christmas Eve ... I can assure all our younger readers - HE DOES !!!

Merry Christmas !
Saint Mike
I'm also dispelling the myth that Santa doesn't like a cold beer left out for him on Christmas Eve ... I can assure all our younger readers - HE DOES !!!

Merry Christmas !
Thats not right Santa prefers a johnny double black on ice at my house and no friggen carrots

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com
brucefil2011
Saint Mike

Merry Christmas !
Thats not right Santa prefers a johnny double black on ice at my house and no friggen carrots

see more at
hoffmangoldwithporterdavis.wordpress.com

Lol.

Ours enjoys a nice 18 year old single malt neat at our place. 🥃

My KDR Metricon Hampshire - Liberty - 45 Melb

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t
Another one that might fit the "Myth" definition - ie something people believe to be true but isn't - and relates to tradies, plebs, house builders, and you and me ...

Was driving the other day and coming up to a roundabout - don't get me started ...

This 4WD in front put on the right indicator - went half way round - then the left indicator - then actually went straight through - ie he was going straight through but initially put on his right indicator.

I thought this may have been just an accident but noticed a few other doing it - one being a friend of mine. I asked why he did it - didn't he realise he made the people coming the other way stop or slow down as they thought he was turning right ? He said no - it was the law - you had to indicate right initially then left as you left the roundabout.

I agree with the signalling "off" - BUT - indicating right - at the start - when you are not going right is just stupid. I mentioned it to another mate and he said - yes - it was the law. I thought - WOW - I must have been wrong all these years. I may do it on one of those huge roundabouts - but not a simple 4 point one.

So I decided to look up the law. Yes - you guessed it - no mention AT ALL about signalling right when you are going straight through a roundabout. So - where did this myth come from ?

I've since seen others doing it - a small majority thank goodness.

I like the indicating "off" as it shows what you are doing - and may well be the law in most states - but maybe not before you have entered the roundabout - otherwise people may thing you are going left ...

Has anyone else seen this ?

If you treat the roundabout like a 4 point crossing and think what you would do, it does help. Not assuming you have right of way, reducing your speed, and indicating off, are perhaps the best three rules.
Can't believe people are still falling for online/telephone "scams" telling them they have won/inherited/been selected for - some sort of fortune (eg left in a will, a forgotten lottery win, an old bank account, lost shares etc etc).

Apparently people - even today - are still sending off money to their benefactors - to expediate their "treasure" being sent to them.

We talk about "free lunches" etc - but are we all so desperate/gullible that we will believe anything ?

If you can afford to send money to a person you have never met and never will - why not pay it off your housing loan. This WILL gain you a benefit !
I was wondering why so many people are presented with something - and assume something else. A good example is a "view".

Even though we know further building is to take place which will block or harm the view in question - we still go ahead with the purchase and then get annoyed when it happens. Using our brain can generally tell us the true situation (eg the block opposite already has signs on it).

Similarly building under a flight path or something similar. We know the airport is just over the hill - yet get annoyed that planes are flying in.

Of course we hear all the gossip - the airport is being moved; the highway is really going 10-20 klms further away, there will be a view ("Corridor") etc.

Perhaps some rules to go by - when presented with a property by an agent - or given some "inside" knowledge - 1. Believe Nothing; 2. Assume Nothing; 3. Check Everything ! You are never told a direct untruth - but may not be told the whole truth eg by omission.
Who Do you mean "We" Kemo Sabe?
Saint Mike
I was wondering why so many people are presented with something - and assume something else. A good example is a "view".

Even though we know further building is to take place which will block or harm the view in question - we still go ahead with the purchase and then get annoyed when it happens. Using our brain can generally tell us the true situation (eg the block opposite already has signs on it).

Similarly building under a flight path or something similar. We know the airport is just over the hill - yet get annoyed that planes are flying in.

Of course we hear all the gossip - the airport is being moved; the highway is really going 10-20 klms further away, there will be a view ("Corridor") etc.

Perhaps some rules to go by - when presented with a property by an agent - or given some "inside" knowledge - 1. Believe Nothing; 2. Assume Nothing; 3. Check Everything ! You are never told a direct untruth - but may not be told the whole truth eg by omission.

Have you seen the big fight going on in London re the 4 million pounds and up apartments in front of the New Tate Gallery and art gallery patrons peering in through the homes' windows? Big Court case. Priceless!
SaveH2O
Who Do you mean "We" Kemo Sabe?

A-ha - did he really say that …
kks
Saint Mike

Have you seen the big fight going on in London re the 4 million pounds and up apartments in front of the New Tate Gallery and art gallery patrons peering in through the homes' windows? Big Court case. Priceless!

This is it. We see the water from our balcony - we see the land opposite. Do we ask what is going there ? Do we notice the real estate signs ? Do we appreciate the value of that land …

Or do we just see the view - now - and think - wow ! Such a great price - look at that view.
I like one of the latest scams going around - you get a call from the "police" - they are checking on a scam - they just need some info from you …
I found this funny "Here's a great 'urban myth'... "Australian homes are built for Australian conditions"." .
Franz123
I found this funny "Here's a great 'urban myth'... "Australian homes are built for Australian conditions"." .

A bit like cars ...
I like the NBN Auto call … a bit like the beggar in Chicago - everything there but him - a notice saying - "back in 5 - please leave cash in bowl" …
- he was off to the side on his iPhone …
Got this from "Netflix":

"Hi.
Unfortunately your recent transaction with us is still pending! Therefore, we were unable to bill your membership for the current month.
To keep using your Netflix Membership and service without interruption, Please update your payment method by clicking the button below:"

You guessed it … I didn't click …

You guessed it - a spammer ...
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum