Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

URBAN MYTHS .... ?

Page 10 of 20
Since we put in the snake deterrents we've had no snakes ... or elephants for that matter ...
What kind of snake deterrents? My hubby has looked into them all as he is terrified although our new neighbour has said in 7 years he has only seen 3 he still wants to put in something haha im of the belief don't we need to move in and see if we see any otherwise how will we know if whatever he uses is working. Lol

viewtopic.php?t=76386
Shanniidc
What kind of snake deterrents? My hubby has looked into them all as he is terrified although our new neighbour has said in 7 years he has only seen 3 he still wants to put in something haha im of the belief don't we need to move in and see if we see any otherwise how will we know if whatever he uses is working. Lol

viewtopic.php?t=76386

They are like solar lights - only a longer spike. Ebay has them for a good price. I got a box of 10. Mine also have lights on top and are solar.

You must place them properly - ie - the spike must be well in the ground. They are said to work better in harder soils - not sand.

My wife hates snakes so its worth a go. We've had a few and haven't seen any since. BUT - I'm not guaranteeing them ...
Saint Mike
Shanniidc

viewtopic.php?t=76386

They are like solar lights - only a longer spike. Ebay has them for a good price. I got a box of 10. Mine also have lights on top and are solar.

You must place them properly - ie - the spike must be well in the ground. They are said to work better in harder soils - not sand.

My wife hates snakes so its worth a go. We've had a few and haven't seen any since. BUT - I'm not guaranteeing them ...

Hmmmm I wonder if our land would be suitable for them then I'm not sure on how hard the soil is. I'll definitely let my hubby know about those though so he can look into them thanks

viewtopic.php?t=76386
Shanniidc
Saint Mike
Shanniidc

viewtopic.php?t=76386

Hmmmm I wonder if our land would be suitable for them then I'm not sure on how hard the soil is. I'll definitely let my hubby know about those though so he can look into them thanks

viewtopic.php?t=76386

Always worth a go ...
Crazyk
Think of a waffle as a bowl of jelly with custard on the top...custard being your waffle slab. Shake the jelly he slab moves with it. Waffles are only poured on top of the soil and not keyed into the earth. The pipe work connecting to the sewer and water is another question, but that doesn't matter what slab you have.

Sorry thread hijacked

Old thread I know. This is a reason to spend a little extra on your pipes and use stormplastics products. Joints are expandable and some swivel.
...and are compulsory on reactive soils as per AS2870.
SaveH2O
...and are compulsory on reactive soils as per AS2870.

I miss the myths ... so what are you saying SH2O ...
Just stating that what goody59 posted is compulsory on reactive soils as per the Australian Standard I referenced.

If there is an urban myth in there, it would be that all houses that were required to be built to this Standard since the Standard was mandated were in fact built to the Standard.
Yeah, I've never seen a waffle pad around and it's mostly all part or full reactive clay...
Certain things always make my antennae stand up - so to speak - eg "trust me" ... .

I've had real estate agents tell me the market is not flat - its just not rising.

But recently Telstra doubled my download total - considerably. Is this to make me download more - or just a ruse. They told me it would mean I could download so many more movies. Are they suggesting I download from "those" sites we all hear about ...

I feel its just they know from my records I won't download anymore than I do now - and they can give me 500gbs more and I won't use it.

Are Telstra really giving me something - or is it just a myth ?
Tel$tra rely on the law of averages, that being if you currently stick to less than say 50Gb on a 100Gb plan, you are highly unlikely to use much more if any if they gave you a 500Gb plan.

It's all about making you feel warm and fuzzy about them.

They know that they will get people that will use all of the extra given to them, but the vast majority won't use any more, and definately in the long term usage will pretty much remain the same.
A couple of ones that always amuse me...

1. Water drains down a basin clockwise in the southern hemisphere and anti clockwise in the northern hemisphere due to the Corolis effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIVfoDuVIw

2. An air bubble rises in water because air is lighter than water.
SaveH2O
A couple of ones that always amuse me...

1. Water drains down a basin clockwise in the southern hemisphere and anti clockwise in the northern hemisphere due to the Corolis effect.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIVfoDuVIw

2. An air bubble rises in water because air is lighter than water.

But you have overcome the issue of #2. Mighty cleverly too I might add.
# 1 is interesting though.
goody59
But you have overcome the issue of #2.

Yes...in one application but that doesn't correctly explain why bubbles rise in water. I'm not explaining why the urban myth is wrong this early but it has nothing to do with air being lighter than water.

Hmmm...just noticed that I spelt Coriolis with one i. Oops!
I missed these - been away - but more grist for the mill.
And back to my favourite subject.

Has anyone heard that a slab poured in winter can be weaker than one poured in the warmer months. I can't seem to find out why - but was told it is true ! Apparently this person was told by and expert.
Well concrete needs heat to cure.
When cement mixes with water it creates an exothermic reaction.
If it's too cold it won't cure properly.

I would assume that the concrete wouldn't be weaker but just take longer to reach full strength. This would of course need to be tempered with how cold you are talking about. If you are talking around 0ยบ C then the water in the mix would possibly freeze and definitely cause problems.
Mr Google comes up with this...
http://www.holcim.com.au/editorials/con ... ather.html

Stewie
One can only wonder about a waffle pod done in the depths of winter ...
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum