Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

URBAN MYTHS .... ?

Page 9 of 20
Yep - this is physics at work. Not a myth.

Why does a cricket ball swing ...
What about snake deterrents ?

I've heard many things. Is there a "wash" you can spray/slosh about that deters them ?

I know they are more scared of you - supposedly - but I don't like them around the house.
Mythbusters did an episode on snake deterrents.
they tested cat litter, mothballs and cayenne pepper.
None of them worked. The cayenne pepper slowed them down initially but eventually the majority of snakes crossed through it.
Cayenne pepper did prove to be effective in deterring bears.
Remember that next time you go out for a picnic.
chippy
Mythbusters did an episode on snake deterrents.
they tested cat litter, mothballs and cayenne pepper.
None of them worked. The cayenne pepper slowed them down initially but eventually the majority of snakes crossed through it.
Cayenne pepper did prove to be effective in deterring bears.
Remember that next time you go out for a picnic.

No - bears aren't my problem ...

I do use moth balls though. Apparently smell is a big thing.
I didn't think snakes could smell

Crazyk
I didn't think snakes could smell

They smell with their tongue.
Saint Mike

Regarding ants - black ants.

This may not be a myth - but if you have black ants you may not have termites. Apparently black ants eat termites - if they can get them ...

A bit like the lizard/snake one - if you have lizards you may not have snakes. I like lizards - so I like this one. If you have a goanna or blue tongue about - throw it some food occasionally - don't pat it - raw meat. It may hang around. Good for the garden.

No myth- bobtail lizards love apple and will eat quarters out of your hand. Blue tongues and bobtails are good for the garden; why, because they eat snails.

Anyone heard of a concrete slab that "grows?"
Treeseachanger
Saint Mike

Regarding ants - black ants.

This may not be a myth - but if you have black ants you may not have termites. Apparently black ants eat termites - if they can get them ...

A bit like the lizard/snake one - if you have lizards you may not have snakes. I like lizards - so I like this one. If you have a goanna or blue tongue about - throw it some food occasionally - don't pat it - raw meat. It may hang around. Good for the garden.

No myth- bobtail lizards love apple and will eat quarters out of your hand. Blue tongues and bobtails are good for the garden; why, because they eat snails.

Anyone heard of a concrete slab that "grows?"

Yes - we always feed lizards.

Growing cement ... sure - but it is hard to buy the seeds ...
Friends had their outside area "increase" by up to 3 cms underneath travertine tiles....the house was very top end built and the slab kept "growing". True. Builder had no idea why.
It is true that black ants will eat white ants but they have to get at them first. If you break open the white ant trails and there are black ants about they will certainly attack. But it doesn't take too long for the white ants to make repairs.

And as for bobtails... grrrr. We grow our own vegies and they eat the flowers and young fruit so we never get a harvest. Last summer we had 32 turn up for a free feed. Here is number 26.

We catch them and relocate them. Originally we would take them a few hundred meters away but suspected that they were returning. So we numbered them and our suspicions were correct. They would return in under an hour. So now we take them over a kilometre away and they don't return. This year we have already moved about ten. It got so bad last summer that we installed an electric fence, about 2cm off the ground to protect the zucchini patch. And we still found a Western Brown snake.
I often walk the golf course early morning for exercise. I get a few maggies and generally have something for them. They now wait for me - and as its a circle they wait for me to return.

I must say the numbers are a good idea ... reminds me of a story involving Sherlock Holmes where he use to put a coloured (paint) spot on his bees - to see where they went ...
If you buy a hail damaged car (at considerable cost savings), you also reap a benefit in fuel savings because the car will be more economical!
SaveH2O
If you buy a hail damaged car (at considerable cost savings), you also reap a benefit in fuel savings because the car will be more economical!

Huh???????
look it up on mythbusters..based on how a golf ball goes further principle.

mixo
mixo
look it up on mythbusters..based on how a golf ball goes further principle.

Found it!

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dim ... C2DB57D9FD
RE-sale must be less though ...
SaveH2O

Would you need really bad hail damage for this to really work though ...

Also - would it need to be consistent ?
Is that the golf ball theory
Saint Mike

Any dent helps to a degree although larger dents would obviously alter the aerodynamic flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkaLsVOrBk0
SaveH2O
Saint Mike

Any dent helps to a degree although larger dents would obviously alter the aerodynamic flow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkaLsVOrBk0

You'd think the police would take this into account ...
Related
You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum