Join Login
Building ForumGeneral Discussion

Are bedroom sizes important?

Page 6 of 6
We decided not to go with a project home in part because we found there was lots of floor space dedicated to big master rooms with small minor bedrooms. We also wanted to dedicate more space to living areas but not have the bedrooms feeling cramped.

Even with toying with the plans we couldn't find one with the room sizes more balanced that also met all of our other requirements.

We wanted the minor rooms to be at least 3.5 x 3.5. They are 3.6 plus a robe that runs the length of one wall.

Our main is bigger just to denote it as the main, really. We also have a very big King bed, pretty much our favourite thing in the world lol and it had to fit in the room. Our room will be 4.2 x 3.8. There is then a walk in robe 1.5 wide running the length of one wall and an ensuite 1.5 wide along the other.

That is still a fair bit of space dedication considering our living space is about 220sqm.

We wanted the rooms to feel comfortable but kids (well at this stage kid!) to play out with the family.' We have 3 bedrooms in total and a study.
For resale value, I ensured all bedrooms can fit a queen size bed. Also have walk-in robes to 3 of the 4 bedrooms and a large walk-in linen.

At a pinch I could convert some of the space to a 5th bedroom by removing an internal wall and adding an external window.

This flexibility in design was one advantage in using a small bespoke builder who could do a custom plan.
Bir not included in size.
im having the below, are those sizes considered big ?
4x4 for master (excluding WIR + ensuite)
3.4x3.89 for Bedroom 2&3 (including BIR)
3.6x3.89 for multi-purpose room (now as theater, which can be converted to bedroom if needed)

im thinking to reduce the bedroom size on one end to give more space to the hallway..what do you guys think ??
3.4x3.7 for Bedroom 2&3 (including BIR)
3.6x3.7 for multi-purpose room
My bedroom sizes are

4.9x3.6 Bedroom 1 plus WIR & Ensuite which makes 9.0x3.6 including WIR & Ensuite
4.1x3.7 Bed 4
4.0x3.2 Bed 3 plus robe (0.6)
4.5x3.6 Bed2 plus Robe (0.6)

With a double bed in the rooms none seem too big, they seem to me to be just right To put a desk in the smaller rooms would require a single bed
To pick up from an old thread. I think kitchen size and good size family living areas sizes and not to excessive and at least 2 living areas in the house are more important than big bedrooms and i think that is where the trade off is with builders designs today. The other thing people haven't touched on is the actual layout of the bedroom in relation to door location window size and location as well as ceiling height. For people with a minor bedroom size of say 3x 3.1 the room could possibly look more spacious with 9 foot+ high ceilings, higher door heights and extra wider windows than the average. I would be picking this over a 3.5 x 3.5 room with 2.4m ceiling height and small pokey windows and standard door height any day. A minor bedroom of approx 3 x 3.1 with good size windows, higher door heights and bedrooms facing towards backyard area and ceiling height of 9 foot + make a big difference to the room as long as u have that for minor rooms imo that is fine and i've compared the difference to many of the display homes I've seen, but a room of say 3x3 can look so small with 2.4 ceilings, standard door heights and pokey windows but add the extra bigger size windows, higher door heights and higher ceilings to your plan as well as locating the rooms towards the backyard area this can make a big difference. It's not all about big bedrooms. i still pick living areas, kitchen, landscaping and porcelain tiles/timber flooring over bedroom sizes. I think today you have to factor in a lot of things before buying a house. Anyway approx numbers below for rooms in the house should be fine.

master at least 3.6 x 3.7 is fine

minor bedrooms at least 3x3.1 with 9 foot+ high ceilings and extra wider windows than the average should be okay.

family rooms at least 4.5 x 4.5 for both is good
or family and meals area possibly 6 x4.5
Related
27/10/2023
Your most important inspection? Pre contract review.

General Discussion

The worst thing you can do is sign a building contract without a pre contract review. Over the years many people have come to me with disputes where they just signed…

31/12/2023
Measuring drill bits sizes

General Discussion

I have a box of quality drill bits that seem to be new but their engraved sizes covered by rust ,,,,I tried to sand them to see their sizes but still I am finding…

4/05/2024
Mixed drawer sizes next to each other

Building A New House

put the 2 draw set directly under the cooktop and the 3 draw set either side for balance

You are here
Building ForumGeneral Discussion
Home
Pros
Forum