homeone&tm; - Australia's home building and renovation resource.

Forum
Sign In

Brown/Grey Paint Colour Help

6 Replies
Mar 03, 2013 11:43 am

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for what is probably a really dumb question, but I need some advice about two paint colours we are trying to choose between. We want a colour with a brown tone for our extension and my wife has picked out two colours. They are both Haymes Paints. One is called China Doll (N24) and the other is called Calm (NG15). China Doll is a nice colour but we think it might be too light. Calm is also quite a nice colour, but to me it looks more grey that brown and I'm worried that it may not go with our tiles and carpet once we paint whole walls with it. Does anybody know of these colours, particularly Calm, and tell me if it is actually brown or grey? (See I told you it was a really dumb question.)

Thanks.
Mar 03, 2013 10:15 pm

We used Taupe Grey from Haymes. I like it a lot. Has grey/brown tonings. China Doll to me was a little too pink in colour.
Check out Taupe Grey also.
Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Kaytee wrote
We used Taupe Grey from Haymes. I like it a lot. Has grey/brown tonings. China Doll to me was a little too pink in colour.
Check out Taupe Grey also.

Thanks Kaytee, I'll have a look at it.
Mar 14, 2013 9:26 pm

Hi fozzy!

I am not familiar with your colors. However, I recently found a very lovely French gray for my mom to use for her home. French gray is like....well, a warm grey as opposed to a cool blue based gray. Its basically a cross between brown and gray. if you compare it with swatches of brown and gray you'll see what i mean! So you get the awesome neutral of gray but with a touch of the comforting warmth of brown. It is a lovely color and goes with everything.

The color is dulux rock quarry. It might be a bit dark but also take into consideration how much light the room gets :)

Dulux bedbox is also quite nice, leaning more towards brown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mar 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Btw that is so not a dumb question! Colors are more complex than many think (at first anyway! Until you start noticing the differences....lol). Colors can be cool or warm ( cool blue based reds or warm greens, for instance!) and keeping your colors in the similar range to match your tiles will be your easiest way of making sure everything is harmonious :)

Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

Thanks for your replies everyone. I just thought I would post an update. My wife wouldn't budge from her colour choice so we have painted in Haymes Calm. As usual, she was right. It looks great. It looks heaps different to the colour sample once the whole room is painted. I was worried it was going to be too grey, but it has a nice warm feel.
Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

fozzy wrote
Thanks for your replies everyone. I just thought I would post an update. My wife wouldn't budge from her colour choice so we have painted in Haymes Calm. As usual, she was right. It looks great. It looks heaps different to the colour sample once the whole room is painted. I was worried it was going to be too grey, but it has a nice warm feel.

Great!! So glad it turned out beautifully! Pictures or it didn't happen! ;)

View: Mobile  |  Desktop
© Homeone Australia & New Zealand 2010-2014 (v3.0)